Arts and Crafts Book Case

Status
Not open for further replies.

cstandi1

New User
chase
Just finished this bookcase this week. It is my first piece from oak. I used some beautiful quarter sawn white oak which I finished using an article on mission oak finishing by Jeff Jewitt on the advice of Scott Smith. I also purchased the wood from Scott and would like to thank him for taking the time to give me some advice on working with the oak, he has some beautiful wood and an amazing shop. The lighting isn't great but there is some wonderful fleck in the oak that is just hard to see in the picture.

D4BCF919-5D2D-45B6-863A-0356D8E5F0BA_zpstutjsyrk.jpg

Last edited:

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Chase:
Great color and finishing on that piece - overall great execution.
Care to share any details on the finishing?
Is this a plan you followed, an adaptation, or your own design?

Nicely done - a piece I would be proud of!

Henry

cstandi1

New User
chase
Chase:
Great color and finishing on that piece - overall great execution.
Care to share any details on the finishing?
Is this a plan you followed, an adaptation, or your own design?

Nicely done - a piece I would be proud of!

Henry

The plans are from woodcraft, they are were very easy to follow, accurate, and well detailed.

For the finishing I used this article. http://homesteadfinishingproducts.com/stickley.pdf

Basically you start with a trans-tint dye. That is followed up with up with a coat of General Finish's SealACell Sealer. Next comes a coat of a General Finish's gel stain which is topped by two coats of General Finishes ArmRSeal. It isn't a difficult process by any means, jut a little time consuming, the whole process take about 4 days with all the drying.

You vary the colors of the trans-tint and gel stain to acheive the multiple different finishes mention in the article. In my case it was Brown Mahoghany Trans-tint and Candlelite stain.

I was shooting for finish #4 from the article I feel like it came out pretty close to correct.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Being a fan of Craftsman Style furniture and Scott's Quarter Sawn White Oak I really like this piece. Very nice job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS