Artist Table Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsone

New User
Ed
A lady I have done some work for in the past has asked me to help her design a larger table for her to do her painting on. Right now she has a table that is about 18"x36". She was originally thinking of just attaching a larger top, which is still an option, but the layout of the room really isn't good for that and left a lot of dead space.

I have suggested building a corner work table that would significantly increase her work surface. Here is what I have come up with so far. I would appreciate some input on the basic design. The rails will be M&T into the legs. The top will probably be melamine banded with hardwood.

Another item of concern is lighting. Here eyesight is fading and she needs bright light. Do any of you have suggestions on a good lighting system that would come close to natural daylight?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Ed, I think that you are spot on with your sketch-up design. Make sure that your aprons are thick enough to support the weight in the center where it won't be supported by the legs.
For daylight lighting sources you might look here. They carry bulbs in most configurations with a spectrum very similar to daylight - http://www.naturallighting.com/web/shop.php

Dave:)

Rocker

New User
John
Ed,
I made an easel desk for a high end client. It was made as a desk, but the top lifted up to create an easel and the area under the desk was designed to hold the canvases or drawings she made. I put the easel desk on castors so she could roll the desk to the part of the room with the best light.

Attachments

• desk 2.jpg
    desk 2.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 163
  • desk 5.jpg
    desk 5.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 160

nelsone

New User
Ed
John, that's a beautiful piece! I would love to copy that design, but I don't think they are looking in that price range. This idea started off as a board screwed to the existing table!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS