Are there any reasonably priced turning chisels out there ????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dusty Sawyer

New User
David
When I bought my lathe I decided to buy some very "el cheapo" turning chisels. Now that I have done a couple turnings and have realized that I will need to hold them against the stone as much as I hold them against the wood, I started looking for a reasonably priced set of chisels that were of better quality. So far I have'nt been able to find anything I can really afford.

Any suggestions on where to buy or what toolmakers have a quality product?

Thanks

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I have done well with the set of Windsor Design chisels from HF

47066.gif

It's an 8 piece set -

1'' & 3/4'' roughing gouges, 1/8'' parting tool, 1/2'' & 1'' skew chisels, 1/2'' round nose scraper, 1/2" beveled scraper, 1/4'' spindle gouge

ITEM 47066-3VGA

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]$35.99

I've suplimented it with specific tools as I've found the need. It is a great set to learn to sharpen on, I think that they hold an edge well for what they cost.
My .02, Dave:)
[/FONT]

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
I use the $12.00 set from HF.I ahve been using them for 2 years.When I get good and think I have the hang of this turning thing I might consider upgrading to the $40.00 set from HF( I really like that cool box.It exudes quality.)Only real good tools come in fancy boxes like that otherwise they wouldn't make them.
Try using a dimaond stone instead of a grinder.The steel will last longer and you will get a sharper edge.
(You would sharpen your prize pocket knife on a grindin wheel would you?)
All kidding aside I believe the "need" for high dollar tools is over rated especially if you are buying a tool with someone elses name on it.
With my luck I would lose it some how and some idiot would look up Robert Sorby and try to return it to him.
One of these days I will turn a pen with a sharpened screw driver.(But it will be a high dollar Craftsman).

Ken Weaver

New User
Ken Weaver
I have the same set as DaveO and so far they've been fine. Convinced me that I need a slow speed grinder.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Another way to go.

I picked up a big box lot of turning tools from ebay.

Much to my surprise many were made from Nicholson metal mill files.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS