Anyone up for another Raleigh area shop crawl?

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
It's been about three years since our last shop crawl in the Raleigh area. This was pre-Covid. I want to see if there is interest in organizing another one. This would be some time in the Spring, likely a Saturday in March or April. Please PM me with the address of your shop and any dates that do/do not work if you are interested in being one of the stops.

For now I'm only interested in hearing from folks that are willing to open up their shop as one of the stopping points. A sign-up sheet will be posted later for attendees. Your shop needs to be in the greater Raleigh area so that we don't have too much distance between stops. If there are enough stops we could divide into north and south areas. The goal is to not require more than 10-15 minutes driving time to the next site.

For those new to the forum or wondering what is a "shop crawl", let me explain. This is where we have several woodworkers who open up their shop as one of the stops along the "crawl." Attendees move as a group from one stop to the next, spending 30-45 minutes at each place. It a fun way to exchange ideas and see how others have organized their space. The number of "crawlers" is limited by a sign-up sheet so we don't overwhelm anyone.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Jim, shop crawls are always fun and provide us with lots of great ideas for our own shop.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Up for it. I am a bit north (Hillsborough) but there are several others not too far. Maybe a South crawl, and a North crawl ?

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'm collecting a list of stops. If you're willing to open your shop PM me your address and I'll add it to the map. This will help me see where everyone is located and how best to organize (i.e., single crawl, split into two, etc.).

Jim Wallace

jimwallacewoodturning.com
Jim
Corporate Member
Jim, I enjoyed getting to know you at the sharpening workshop at NCSU. I’d be glad to have folks come to my shop in the spring. It’s not fully enclosed, so it would be somewhat like being outside. My address is 8912 Brayer Hill Path, Wake Forest, NC 27587. Google Maps will pinpoint it for you. I may be too far out to be included.

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks, Jim. I enjoyed the workshop and am already using the things I learned. I have you on the map.

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
We have ten possible stops available for the shop crawl so far. I'm not sure we can fit all of these together since the distance and driving times are too much. Instead, I plan split these into North and South groups. That makes for five stops each. Before I close it out does anyone else want to open their shop? I'll leave this phase open until this Friday before moving on to pick a date.

1672694835981.png

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
Have we done these in Charlotte lately?
I don't believe there have been any of these since Covid shut everything down. I suggest starting a new thread to see if there is interest in the Charlotte area.

Jim Wallace

jimwallacewoodturning.com
Jim
Corporate Member
Jim, It looks as if my wife, Nancy, has something on the calendar that will keep me busy the weekend of April 15 (the weekend after Easter). Other than that my schedule is open for weekends this Spring so far.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
We are looking forward to attending the southern half of this crawl. (Apex and down)

Bullcitywoodshop

Andrea
User
It's been about three years since our last shop crawl in the Raleigh area. This was pre-Covid. I want to see if there is interest in organizing another one. This would be some time in the Spring, likely a Saturday in March or April. Please PM me with the address of your shop and any dates that do/do not work if you are interested in being one of the stops.

For now I'm only interested in hearing from folks that are willing to open up their shop as one of the stopping points. A sign-up sheet will be posted later for attendees. Your shop needs to be in the greater Raleigh area so that we don't have too much distance between stops. If there are enough stops we could divide into north and south areas. The goal is to not require more than 10-15 minutes driving time to the next site.

For those new to the forum or wondering what is a "shop crawl", let me explain. This is where we have several woodworkers who open up their shop as one of the stops along the "crawl." Attendees move as a group from one stop to the next, spending 30-45 minutes at each place. It a fun way to exchange ideas and see how others have organized their space. The number of "crawlers" is limited by a sign-up sheet so we don't overwhelm anyone.
I would love for my shop to be in this! The Bull City Woodshop 1912 E Pettigrew St. Durham. Would also like to attend the crawl.

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
@Bullcitywoodshop and @Michael Mathews, I've added you all to the map. You all help round out the Durham/Chapel Hill area to cut down on drive time between stops.

We have room for 2-3 more shops in the Wake Forest area, if possible. We could then split the greater Raleigh area into three, separate crawls. Any members in this neck of the woods who are interested?

waitup

New User
Matt
I'm in Wake Forest and would be interested next time. Still too much of a work in progress at present.

Mark Johnson

Mark
Corporate Member
If anyone is interested a lot further south, I open to a visit in Anderson, SC. I don't know how many folks are in this neck of the woods.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors