any luthiers out there w/ exp. bending sides

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonnyfontaine

New User
Jonny
hi... i'm planning on building my first semi-hollow body guitar (i.e. 335) and so far i'm planning on using quilted maple for the top, back, and sides... i understand that this is a very difficult wood to bend, and the shape has some pretty sharp bends in it, i am wondering if any you guys out here have any advice for doin' this? i was thinking either soaking the wood and using a bending iron and those metal straps or maybe steaming the wood and using a form and clamping it in that... again, i have no idea if those are good techniques or not, any and all help would be very appreciated... thanks so much, jonny

nelsone

New User
Ed
Wish I could help you. There was an episode on the Woodwrights shop with a violin maker that showed how he bent the sides. See if this launches the video.

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
Ed, Thanks for posting that Woodwright link, I hadn't seen that episode. The really interesting thing is that Joe gave his violin making presentation at one of our Mid-West Tool Collectors Assoc meetings in Waxhaw couple years ago. He's a very talented fellow and does virtually all of the work by hand, similar to the way it was done 400 years ago. It was one of the most interesting demonstrations I've ever seen.

In the video, Joe shows bending the sides with a specialized heating unit and is essentially doing steam bending. The same process would probably work fine on Jonny's ES335 project. I toured the Gibson plant in Memphis last year where they make the ES335's and several other models. It was really interesting. They ran us through the plant fairly quickly and the tour guide didn't have a clue, so I didn't absorb a lot of guitar making that day. I can't say for sure, but seems like I remember Gibson laminated the sides, tops and backs on the ES335's. (I do remember bunches of veneer.) You know the ES335 has an arched top that you're also going to have to contend with, so I can see where laminating would be a solution that would solve several challenges.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Randy,

I'm by no means an expert, but my next project will feature a bent lamination (walnut and maple). I'm very interested in hearing what others have to say about this. I'm planning on resawing on the BS and then laminating. My plan of action so far (vague) is that I'm going to cut it all into 1/32" strips, soak it for a while and then bend it and clamp it into a pre-made form. I've heard that steam bending can be a nightmare and I don't really have the money to snap piece after piece of walnut. Looking forward to some more replys and also to seeing your guitar completed! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Trent

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I have a lot of experience with manufacturing maple toothpicks from this project:

mandocompletesmall.jpg
mando_dry_fit.jpg

What I eventually had the most success with was this method:

http://www.scavm.com/awfribs.htm

I used aluminum for the backing strap. I see you are in Raleigh; PM me if you want to borrow my iron (sometimes you get stuff on it that doesn't come off easily, so I don't recommend borrowing one from the laundry room). I also have a bending pipe somewhere (it's just a short length of pipe, small metal vise and a propane torch) if you want to try the old school method. I didn't have much success with freehand bending, but that is what a lot of the masters do. There is also a new "heat blanket" method that people swear by, but it's real expensive (and cannot be made from anything I have been able to find at the flea market :rolf:).

Last edited by a moderator:

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Oh yeah, when you read that article, where it says "if you are making a cello" that would apply to a guitar also.

nelsone

New User
Ed
Ed, Thanks for posting that Woodwright link, I hadn't seen that episode. The really interesting thing is that Joe gave his violin making presentation at one of our Mid-West Tool Collectors Assoc meetings in Waxhaw couple years ago. He's a very talented fellow and does virtually all of the work by hand, similar to the way it was done 400 years ago. It was one of the most interesting demonstrations I've ever seen.

Wish I could have seen that presentation, but that was before I even knew about MWTCA! He's a pretty impressive picker too, judging by the show.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS