Any ideas on what to do with this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
This is a piece of walnut I got somewhere, don't remember where, years ago. It's about 10" X 8" X 7/8. I got it out of the scrap pile and used my ROS on one side and then wiped it down with mineral spirits, and then took the pic and was amazed at what I had. Although I'm a turner, I'm not a pen turner and I would really hate to see it cut into pen blanks and lose that flaming grain. Sawduster suggested framing it as is and that is a possibility. If you look closely in the upper right portion of the pic, you will see that a hole has been drilled through the piece. I suppose some walnut dust and CA glue would disguise, unfortunately not hide, the hole. Any suggestions anyone?

Canon_Pics_672.jpg

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Stuart,

Don't think I'm smart enough to know what to do with that slab, but it is beautiful. If you decide on a project, make sure we see some photos of that.

jerrye

New User
Jerry
I like Sawduster's idea. :icon_thum

Instead of hiding the hole why not incorporate it into the design? Maybe add a couple more holes of different sizes? Perhaps put a smaller hole near the bottom center where the flame with the current hole tapers to a point, and then another larger hole near the left center edge where the flame from the left begins?

Maybe my idea is harebrained. If it is it sure won't be the first time... :slap:

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
+1 on what Doug said. Book matched doors on a small chest would be beautiful. If you don't have the ability to resaw in your shop, I'm sure someone close can help you. :icon_thum

Bill Clemmons

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
That is an interesting piece of crotch walnut you have there. I have worked a bunch with CW and I have some photos posted here on the NCWW photo albums. Take a look at a couple things there under

danmart77

First thing is to consider a panel. Can you resaw in half and double your opportunities? I think so. I do tons of resaw stuff as you will see in the photos. If you get to that point, you can contact me if you get stuck with the resaw portion. I have a good blade and an old delta 28-350(20") bs.

Let me know if anything strikes your interest.

Oh last word.... don't make pens or cut it down into strips please.

dan

Len

New User
Len
If you can't figure out what to do with it, I'll be glad to come pick it up and incorporate it into the top of the magazine stand/end table I'm building. :wink_smil

Len

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Wow, I don't know if I could cut into that piece. :no: That's just too pretty the way it is. Some things are better left untouched. :eusa_thin Although, if I had to do something with it, I'd go with Doug's idea. Resaw and book-match. :thumbs_up

jhreed

New User
james
That is one beautiful piece of wood. I would be afraid of doing anything with it. I would put it on my coffee table and dare anyone to put anything on top of it.
James

PChristy

New User
Phillip
I like Doug's idea - a nice box with some scroll saw overlay work around the edges of the box with a contrasting color -

CoolHandLuke

New User
Dave
I would be making a bunch of bookmatched sets of scales for my straight razor restorations... but I guess I have lots of those kinds of pieces cut already:eusa_thin

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
Thanks for the ideas. It looks as if it will be resawn and a couple of boxes made. Don't know when I'll get "a round tuit" since there are a couple of other projects ahead of it.

KC7CN

New User
Don
This is a piece of walnut I got somewhere, don't remember where, years ago. It's about 10" X 8" X 7/8. I got it out of the scrap pile and used my ROS on one side and then wiped it down with mineral spirits, and then took the pic and was amazed at what I had. Although I'm a turner, I'm not a pen turner and I would really hate to see it cut into pen blanks and lose that flaming grain. Sawduster suggested framing it as is and that is a possibility. If you look closely in the upper right portion of the pic, you will see that a hole has been drilled through the piece. I suppose some walnut dust and CA glue would disguise, unfortunately not hide, the hole. Any suggestions anyone?

Canon_Pics_672.jpg

Give it to your doctor to hang in the X-Ray Lab! Looks like Woody Woodpecker's chest X-Ray :gar-La;.

-Don

gritz

New User
Robert
+1 on Bobby G's suggestion.
I see a 4 piece bookmatched table top banded with straight grained walnut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors