Frame 1.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 127
  • Frame 2.jpg
    Frame 2.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 128

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
if size isnt critical you could recut the opposing side.:rotflm: but my board stretcher is all stretched out!

DaveO

New User
DaveO
You can make the width of the frame members less from the inside edge. That is as close to a board stretcher as you can come.
Dave:)

Sharp Blade

New User
Anna-Catherine
Al and others...are you trying to tell me I cannot stretch the board any? :rolf:

Well, I can use this board for another frame project coming up. Sheesh! What a dolt I can be.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
No board stretches left on the East Coast- I've used every one!!!!

How about a 3/4" piece of contrasting wood slipped between the miters? You would need to cut an inside miter on one end and outside miter on the outer end.

Sharp Blade

New User
Anna-Catherine
No board stretches left on the East Coast- I've used every one!!!!

How about a 3/4" piece of contrasting wood slipped between the miters? You would need to cut an inside miter on one end and outside miter on the outer end.

I had actually thought of that. But, the guy I am making this for is too conservative to experiment with. LOL

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
If the width of the boards is not critical, you could make a long scarf joint and in effect stretch the board.

Mike

J

jeff...

I'm working on a board stretcher, but as close as I got was to chain a board between two tractors and pull. Really didn't work so well, but was fun, because we got to see which tractor was the strongest of the two.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Anna, try this, it is what I was trying to explain in my last post. If you can spare some width on the frame members, this concept will "stretch" your board. Scanned from American Woodworker -

(bottom article)
img006.jpg

HTH,

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Al and others...are you trying to tell me I cannot stretch the board any? :rolf:

yes you can! add more wood to the long side and rip some off the short side. remiter the ends and the board is longer but with a glue joint along its length. if you can match the grain it might not be noticed.

Well, I can use this board for another frame project coming up. Sheesh! What a dolt I can be.

this also works.:hairroll:

Sharp Blade

New User
Anna-Catherine
Anna, try this, it is what I was trying to explain in my last post. If you can spare some width on the frame members, this concept will "stretch" your board. Scanned from American Woodworker -

(bottom article)

HTH,

Dave,

I see what you mean. Since this is only red pak from fLowes, I got another board and will Make it right. I just wanted to show what a dolt I can be. LOL
I will keep this in mind for anything critical.
Anna-Catherine

DavidF

New User
David
If the picture sits on a rebate (rabbet) then how about making the rebate wider so that the frame can be smaller and then recut the mitres?

Sharp Blade

New User
Anna-Catherine
If the picture sits on a rebate (rabbet) then how about making the rebate wider so that the frame can be smaller and then recut the mitres?

David, if my customer, my GF's brother weren't so dang particular aboput the frame, then tyours and almost everybody elses suggestions would be tried. LOL

I did get another piece of oak and have it all mitered and together. Just waiting to finish it off now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors