Antique Back Saw Restoration... Disston Content

Status
Not open for further replies.

D Sikes

New User
Derek
4017481599_63895419aa.jpg

I picked this old Disston (1871-1876) back saw on that internet auction site for less then a set of card scrapers and thought I would see if I could bring it back to life. It's no collecters item, that's for sure. I'll post some pics of the progress. Last night I removed the saw nuts, tote and jointed the teeth.

M

McRabbet

You need to send an email or PM to Stan Suther (SSuther) who lives in Mooresville, NC. Stan is very experienced in restoring and sharpening Disston and other antique hand saws. He gave a great talk at a Mid-West Tools Collectors Association meeting in Waxhaw on the subject -- he is the man to talk to! You can email him at SSuther@ncwoodworker.net.

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
Nice score. Yes, that saw can be restored to cut like a champ. but it's going to take some work. Like so many old saws, looks like the teeth have gotten way out of kilter after years of sharpening and will require thorough resharpening. Rob is right, Stan is the man.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Sweet! Looks like real potential there!

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. A number of us have as much rust as we do saw dust on our shop floors :)

Jim

02blues

New User
john
beauty. I restored a diston rip saw. Jim / Froglips recommended a "potato water bath" to remove the rust. he can give you more info on it. Maybe a search of the site would work too. Just cut up some potatoes put in an enclosed tub of water add saws without the wood handles and leave for 2 weeks? I think. ( outside...smell is horrid). Take them out and scrub with steel wool, some simple green etc and some paste wax.
Here is my photo... of the final. check out the photo gallery too.

Best of luck.

John / 02blues

D Sikes

New User
Derek
The saw looks great. I read about that, Froglips must be a genius, I've never heard of that trick. I even googled it and it led me back here. To be honest the smell scares me a little bit, though! I might have to give that a try.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
The saw looks great. I read about that, Froglips must be a genius, I've never heard of that trick. I even googled it and it led me back here. To be honest the smell scares me a little bit, though! I might have to give that a try.

I dunno about the potato bath, but electrolysis works great! I used it on a bunch of rust-covered hand-drill augers a few years back. I can't imagine how much time it would have taken to clean them up by hand with a wire brush and/or sandpaper. A few days in the electrolysis bath and a few minutes each with some scouring pads and super-fine paper and they look almost as good as new. If you have a battery charger (automotive) and a bucket, you can do it.

Chris

James Davis

New User
James Davis
You might also try Citric Acid. It works great and doesn;t smell up the joint.:rotflm: It is easy and cheap.

James

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
I am a genius.

How do I know? When I went and took the Genius Test, they said my score made them rethink and rewrite their whole test!

Turns out it was their candidate screening test.....

Lots of effective (and a few ineffective) rust removal techniques out there. I like potato water, as the end result goes in my compost pile. Smell ain't that bad, it just ain't all that good either. Oh, after 3 weeks, the smell is mostly gone and the tool comes out just fine.

Jim

SSuther

New User
Stan
Been spending more time in the shop and not as much here, but saw this thread and wanted to add that I just started working on a new old saw and tried a 24 hour soak in vinegar to remove rust. It worked like a charm! Turns the rust black and easy to scrub off with scouring pad. It left a clean, dull surface, but some additional work with fine sandpaper on a sanding block lubed with mineral spirits will improve the finish.

D Sikes

New User
Derek
I love working on old tools, I've been busy tuning up planes lately but I finally got around to doing some filing on the teeth last night. I'm going to hit it up with some neverdull and see how much "bling" I can get out of it. I love old tools but I'm pretty sure I am going to pick up a Lie-Nielsen Carcass Cross Cut to go with my dovetail saw in the interim. I need to pick up a saw set still, but haven't had the time to shop around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS