Another Table for Another Daughter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Very nice piece from design, construction, through finishing the finish. :icon_cheers

Never done dovetails, but I sure like the clean appearance of yours!

Could you and Joe give us a little tutorial about the layout and setting of the lower shelf? The fit looks excellent, but 2.5 hours is obviously not a quick slash and burn with the jigsaw. :help:

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Wayne, you always do my wood proud!

I like how you did the dovetails too - did you cut those by hand or use a jig?

Scott

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Very nice piece from design, construction, through finishing the finish. :icon_cheers

Never done dovetails, but I sure like the clean appearance of yours!

Could you and Joe give us a little tutorial about the layout and setting of the lower shelf? The fit looks excellent, but 2.5 hours is obviously not a quick slash and burn with the jigsaw. :help:

Jeff.

The real trick to setting the lower shelf; as I observed Joe, was accurate measurements between the inside of each leg, front to back and the length of the shelf. These measurements must take into account the same offset (in this case 3/8") that I used for the aprons to legs.

The other neat trick is to take all of the measurement's at the top of the legs/aprons. (ie should be the same whether you measure the top or the bottom assuming the legs/aprons remained square at glueup)

Once the outside dimensions were established we just crosscut the shelf to length and ripped to length, then marked for the leg notches at the point of each leg. It was then just a matter of "slashing" with the jigsaw (with the aid of Joe's sharp eye) and refining a bit with a rasp, file and sanding block. This was the time consuming part in getting the fit just right. Also a good dose of Joe's type of patience went a long way to a successful fit. We do have a tendency to work slow when we get together though!:wsmile:

Next time, I think that I will try to just let the shelf into a dado in each leg and glue.

Thanks for your feedback.

Wayne

Wayne, you always do my wood proud!

I like how you did the dovetails too - did you cut those by hand or use a jig?

Scott

Scott

Your wood is always a pleasure to work with!!!

Dovetails.

Ya, of course they were all hand cut. Had to set up the Leigh jig for the correct spacing, set up the router with a dovetail bit at the correct depth and then a straight bit at the correct bit depth and route away. All sorta hand cut!:gar-La;:gar-La;:gar-La;:rotflm:
I'll know doubt be calling again soon for more great material for the next project(s).

Wayne

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Next time, I think that I will try to just let the shelf into a dado in each leg and glue.

Another member queried dados earlier in your thread and you said that you'd considered it, but the dado depth would have been too deep for the leg diameter in order to match the 3/8" apron offset.
Would your quick fix simply be to ignore the apron offset, cut a 1/2" deep dado in each leg, and make the shelf narrower to fit? I suspect that the visual effect would go unnoticed by the untrained eye. :dontknow: I suppose the corner legs could get a stopped dado?

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member

Another member queried dado's earlier in your thread and you said that you'd considered it, but the dado depth would have been too deep for the leg diameter in order to match the 3/8" apron offset.
Would your quick fix simply be to ignore the apron offset, cut a 1/2" deep dado in each leg, and make the shelf narrower to fit? I suspect that the visual effect would go unnoticed by the untrained eye. :dontknow: I suppose the corner legs could get a stopped dado?

You are probably correct, Jeff in that the change in inset on the lower shelf may not be all that noticeable. If I tried that, I would probably use some test stock of some sort to get a preview.:eusa_thin

The stopped dado idea is a good one too, but likely way beyond my skill level especially with a 1 1/2" leg.

Thanks again for ideas!

Wayne

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
We do have a tendency to work slow when we get together though!:wsmile:
That's because you're having FUN in the shop as opposed to trying to be productive. Perhaps we should rename this activity from "woodworking" to "woodhobbying". As in
"So what do you like to do in your spare time?"
"I woodhobby, mainly casework"
It's a great looking piece Wayne, I think it would also look terrific behind a sofa. As for getting lucky with matching the finish to the floor: Yes, it requires a bit of luck, but you can't get lucky without first aligning all the factors in your favor :thumbs_up

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
It's a great looking piece Wayne, I think it would also look terrific behind a sofa. As for getting lucky with matching the finish to the floor: Yes, it requires a bit of luck, but you can't get lucky without first aligning all the factors in your favor :thumbs_up

Thanks, Bas!!

Yes. With finishing, it helps if the stars are in alignment for me as well!:rotflm:

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS