Another reason to post things in the forum vs emails and pm's when possible

Status
Not open for further replies.

cskipper

Cathy
I was trying to track back on all the discussions regarding the door prizes for the picnic. Glancing around, I still don't think I've seen them all.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
The only one that I've actually seen thus far was the Veritas/Lee Valley rabbet plane (IIRC).

I'm still awaiting the the announcement that lists all the prizes and lots in one concise list -- we really should have had that live when the raffle began -- unless I've just missed that post somewhere.

M

McRabbet

Cathy,

Since the audience for knowing what prizes are available at the picnic should be limited to keep them a surprise, please review this thread in the BoD Forum. It includes posts from me and from Gotcha6 (Dennis). In my opinion, the moderators and admins should not know, but the Board certainly does. We certainly need more prizes than have been posted.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Cathy do you really mean the picnic door prizes or are you talking about the raffle prizes? They are two very different lists.

cskipper

Cathy
I apologize for any confusion - I meant raffle prizes. Well, I guess I mean both, though individually.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
I've been following this thread for a bit trying to figure out where it is going.

Personally, I think we would have rather dismal raffle ticket sales if we kept users in the dark about what the prizes and lots were. Revealing the prizes (as Rob has done for this and past raffles) can only stir positive interest in raffle sales.

However, I can see some argument about keeping door prizes a surprise. Though, as an admin, I don't see where our knowing (or not knowing) really makes much difference either way. As long as we *know* some bit of information is supposed be a secret we are pretty good at keeping such. Admins, by our very nature, have always been trusted with access to secrets and privileged information and we typically excel at preserving such trust. The best way to denote information as privileged (secret) is to clearly designate it as "CONFIDENTIAL".

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
However, I can see some argument about keeping door prizes a surprise. Though, as an admin, I don't see where our knowing (or not knowing) really makes much difference either way. As long as we *know* some bit of information is supposed be a secret we are pretty good at keeping such. Admins, by our very nature, have always been trusted with access to secrets and privileged information and we typically excel at preserving such trust. The best way to denote information as privileged (secret) is to clearly designate it as "CONFIDENTIAL".

Ethan, picnic door prizes are token prizes , under $10 per, and often include items donated by members. Typical prizes in the past were, NCWW hats, NCWW coffee mugs, wood glue, sand paper, WW books, WW plans, and small gadgets.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
Well, if you all are coming up short on items, I have a few duplicate books (setting up shop, jointer/planer use, beginners handplane book -- really all beginner oriented from when I was acquiring my tools) I could toss in if anyone knows of an economical way to get them from Anderson, SC to the picnic. As much as I would love to attend I simply don't travel much these days (I don't even leave my room much for that matter!). Hopefully I'll get to feeling a bit better so I can spend more time in the shop (which has been rather neglected the past couple years, though I make it out occasionally).

Although I will be a little more distracted the next several weeks restoring my new (to me) oscilloscope purchase. When buying a used 'scope task number one is always rebuilding the power supply and adding needed bypass capacitors to clean up the power. Nothing's more annoying than a noisy trace. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS