Another question on staining new pine to match old pine

Status
Not open for further replies.

cornbread

New User
Eddie
Pics to follow, but basically we have an old reclaimed door that was once painted, was stripped down to the wood and appears to be old heart pine. I was lucky enough to fine some heart pine lumber to make into a bed frame (thanks saw mill nc). It's not getting much of a stain to try and blend the 2 pieces together, but the sapwood is taking the stain much much more than the tight grain red "heart".

Any ideas on how to get it to blend? Different stain on the sapwood or pre-stain on the sapwood? 1512517906060160368257.jpg

Last edited:

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I'm confused as usual but more pics will help. How is the reclaimed door wood going to be used in your headboard? That lighter section in the pic doesn't look like sapwood.

Staining reclaimed heart pine is an absolute shame for such a pretty wood so I'd nix that idea entirely. Cut off the light colored strip on the table saw and move on.

cornbread

New User
Eddie
20171206_141407.jpg
Here is the backside, unstained
The stain I'm applying is really light grey, just trying to get the door and the other wood to match. This is just a representative sample, back of the bed frame. The door will be framed with other pieces similar to this. I wish I could cut the lighter piece off but I had very limited stock and even had to epoxy some unsightly cracks. I'm trying the vinegar and steelwool to see if that helps blend it in.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
The pic is really fuzzy and I can't tell what I'm looking at or how it's supposed to fit into your project. You'll have to be a lot more descriptive and I'm not understanding you at all.

It sounds like two separate projects from your very poor descriptions.

1. Headboard for the bed, reclaimed longleaf pine (looks fine BTW). Why are you fiddling around with staining or whatever on the back of the headboard and what's that got to do with the door?

2. Reclaimed door is still a puzzle to me.

The door will be framed with other pieces similar to this.

WT* is that supposed to look like in your overall plan? Will the door be remounted in the bedroom door frame with hinges and you're trying to match the headboard in that room?

Mark Johnson

Mark
Corporate Member
Try putting a coat of de waxed shellac on before staining. The shellac will seal a lot of the open pores that are drinking up the stain and make the staining more uniform. Pine can be tough.

David Turner

David
Corporate Member
I had good success on a plate rack matching new pine (crown molding) to old reclaimed pine using amber shellac. I sprayed everything with 2 coats of shellac and then taped off the old pine and continued to spray additional coats on the new pine until I got a color match.

David Turner
North raleigh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS