Another project finally done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mburke911

New User
Mark
Hello,
Well I finally finished another project I have been working on for some time. The LOML asked me tile the floor in and to build in some cabinets, storage and a bench seat for use as a mud room. It has taken awhile but here it is.

Because of the size of the room I couldn’t get the entire wall in one photo so the first (upper left) is the top of the room with the cabinets, which were prefabed (I did not build them) but unfinished. The second (upper Right) photo is the cubbies I built from ¾” ply and the third (lower Left) is the bench and cubbies under it for shoe storage also built from 3/4” ply.

Eventually there will be a cushion on the bench...

This is what prompted my asking about info on pin-nailers. I had to repaint the room after it was all up (including the moulding). So I pulled all the moulding down reapainted and hung it all back up again.:BangHead:

Thanks for looking,

Mark

Attachments

• DSC_3648.jpg
    DSC_3648.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 148
  • DSC_3650.jpg
    DSC_3650.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 151
  • DSC_3651.jpg
    DSC_3651.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 138

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
Mark,

Great job and I noticed you even put the vent in the kick plate...real professional work.

Dan C

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Pretty work, Mark - I like the paint colors. LOYL should be very pleased with your results. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

I can see this leading to other projects. Hopefully other projects lead to new toys!

Chuck

mburke911

New User
Mark
Thanks for the comments. It has taken awhile to finally get this done. There are more cabinets on the other side but I didn't include photos. It definately helps keep things organize!

There is already a list of things to do (which will eventually lead to more [STRIKE]toys[/STRIKE] tools necessary (of course) to do the projects.

Mark

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
It does look great! Bet you are glad to have them done!

BTW, is that satin or semi-gloss?:lol: Sorry, had to say it.:eyeslam:

sediener

New User
Steve
Looks good mark, glad that you finally have that off your back.

It does look great! Bet you are glad to have them done!

BTW, is that satin or semi-gloss?:lol: Sorry, had to say it.:eyeslam:

Did you have to repaint it because you used the wrong type of paint?

:rolf:

- Steve

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Mark,

The mud room looks terrific. You did some impresive work there. I wish I had a mud room... my family enters through the [STRIKE]garage[/STRIKE] workshop to get to the kitchen :-(

Ray

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Very, very nice job, both the piece and the finish. I think many people are so fond of clear finishes like oil and poly because they suck at painting! From what I can see, the paint job looks outstanding.

Are those nametags below each cubby? Nice touch!

mburke911

New User
Mark
Steve,
When I started the project the LOML (she is now 6 months pregnant) said she wanted it painted with a "satin" finish. Well the other day, after I had cut and hung the last of the pre-painted molding she said "when are you going to put a coat of semi-gloss paint on it?" I grimaced ( :BangHead:) and there was a short exchange and an obviously unhappy LOML. That night I pulled off all the molding (all of it... both sides of the room) and all the cabinet doors and I repainted them, and all the wood work (both sides of the room) and the ceiling (there were a few spots that needed touching up anyway).

Next day I met up with Travis who loaned me his pin nailer (man what a huge difference in the size of the holes... totally worth the purchase of one of these IMHO). Anyway I re-hung all the molding and finished off the room. She seems happy with it now. :icon_thum

Bas,
Yep there are name tags under each cubbie (LOML made those). As for the painting, I am not all that fond of it. I think there is 4 coats, including the last semi-gloss on it (every piece of it). Satin just doesn't do so well on the wood. I have been looking into it and next time I think I might try spraying with a light coat of shellac first. Should be able to paint over it and have it adhere without the wood soaking it up. Anyone else tried that?

Thanks for all the comments. :tinysmile_grin_t:

Mark

mburke911

New User
Mark
So here is the other side of the room.

And because some one else mentioned it. This room connects the garage (where my tools are located and what I call my "shop" and my wife calls "the place I WILL eventually park my car". It isn't really a very big space. Just enough for some stoage and the washer / dryer.

Mark

Attachments

• DSC_3653.jpg
    DSC_3653.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 121
  • DSC_3654.jpg
    DSC_3654.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 122
  • DSC_3655.jpg
    DSC_3655.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 128
M

McRabbet

As for the painting, I am not all that fond of it. I think there is 4 coats, including the last semi-gloss on it (every piece of it). Satin just doesn't do so well on the wood. I have been looking into it and next time I think I might try spraying with a light coat of shellac first. Should be able to paint over it and have it adhere without the wood soaking it up. Anyone else tried that?

Thanks for all the comments. :tinysmile_grin_t:

Mark
I've had good success using Zinsser BIN Primer Sealer, which is a white pigmented shellac that dries quickly and covers stains or patches on raw or previously painted surfaces, even drywall. Good stuff and readily available at the BORGs. :) And it can be spray-applied if you want...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors