Another Newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will Goodwin

New User
Will Goodwin
Hi all!
My wife and I moved to NC almost a year ago from Texas. I thought I was back there with this past summer being as hot as it was :roll:. I have zero experience with woodworking. So bear with me when I ask questions. :slap:
I have been picking up tools since I got married (10 years the end of the month), but never really had the opportunity to use them. Got some new ones for Christmas, so I thought I'd organize my garage, dig out all the tools and start. I had purchased some plans for Christmas yard art (Reindeer and a sleigh) a while back...and even though Christmas is over, I thought that would be a good first project to get my feet wet. I hope to get to know you all more and make some friends. I work from home as a programmer, so I'm online pretty much all day.

Will

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Absolutely great to have you join us on the forum. Ask all the questions you like. There's a lot of talented (present company excepted), experienced folks here that are always willing to help out! We love photos of work in all phases of completion, so get the camera ready! :-D

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Hi Will,

I have zero experience with woodworking.
....check!

I have been picking up tools since I got married (10 years the end of the month)
....check! (well, 8 years)

I work from home as a programmer, so I'm online pretty much all day.
...check!

They haven't asked me to leave the forum yet, so I think you'll fit right in! Welcome to our little dysfunctional family, and don't forget to post pictures.

M

McRabbet

Welcome aboard, Will -- happy to have you join us! Be sure to check out the libraries for added goodies and be sure to start a Photo Gallery as we love pictures -- even reindeer!

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Welcome to the site Will, I am glad that you could join us. Remember there is no such thing as a stupid question....there might be some stupid answers (that's how my post count got to where it is).

So what's your Christmas gloats????

I look forward to your input in the forums, and I am sure, seeing you around somewhere or the other.
Dave:)

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Hi Will,

Glad you decided to join us. Always good to have another woodworker, regardless of experience level, jump into our sawdust pile. As you've heard so far on this thread, we love photos of projects, tools, shops, and also some et ceteras. As to the Christmas gloats that Dave mentioned... you just have to tell us about new tools or scoring some nice wood. BUT... you have to provide a photo of said same or we just don't believe you. Now, do tell us about the Christmas gloats :).

Ray

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome Will. Glad you joined us. We have folk here at all skill levels and all glad to help. There are only three basic rules:
1. The only dumb question is one not asked.
2. Nothing happened unless you have a picture to prove it.
3. If someone tells you that you suck it means they are jealous.

Just beware most of us have WGD. You might have a mild case from your intro but hang around here a while and you will end up with a full blown case.:)

Dutchman

New User
Buddy
Welcome Will. I am sure you have gathered there are a lot of helpful and friendly folks on this site.
If you are just learning, don't forget to be sure and use safety glasses and ear plugs.

cskipper

Cathy
Welcome aboard! As you can see, we are glad you joined us. We LOVE photos, and LOVE to see what other folks are working on. WGD is a serious affliction which if you don't have yet, we will be sure to spread it to you. It exhibits itself in the need for more tools, wood, tools.....Can't wait to see pictures of what you've worked on. Remember, ask questions and follow shop safety rules.

Partman

Danny
Corporate Member
Welcome to the NCWW site and to NC.:eusa_clap Glad to have you join us.:icon_thum
Now get out there an take pictures!!:lol:

Danny

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Welcome to the site and to the state, Will. You'll find this bunch to be the nicest most helpful crowd anywhere. Whatever help you need, you'll find it here. I always have.

Crank up those tools, break out the camera, and have some fun!!

mcoston2

New User
michael
Welcome to NCWW Will. You might better hold on because its going to be a WILD RIDE.:icon_thum

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Welcome Will,

Don't be afraid to ask for help online, or in person, there are alot of good people around here that will amaze you with knowledge and helpfulness.

Welcome !

Jimmy:)

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Welcome Will. Glad to have another Raleigh Woodworker! Like Scott said no pictures did n't happen! Take some pics of your shop. I built a garage shop last year when we moved here. Feel free to ask questions or stop by.

Doug

nelsone

New User
Ed
Hello Will! Glad you found us.

You will find this is the friendliest woodworking site on the web! We welcome all levels of experience here and there are lots of people willing to extend a helping hand, both online and in person! You have a good number of folks real close to you so don't be shy about asking for advise!

What tools do you currently have? You will find there is always another tool you NEED to have. This is another aspect the members here can offer advise on.

We have a couple sawyers here that can provide you with some great lumber if you are capable of working with rough stock.

I'll look forward to seeing some pics!

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site Will. You'll find there'e a great group of people here so dont be bashful about asking. Just remember we like pics here.

lottathought

New User
Michael
Welcome Will..
So....you are as inexperienced as me in this craft.
Good....I was getting tired of having to ask all the stupid questions. :lol:

Badabing

New User
Joe
Hi Will! No such thing as zero experience ;-) You have tools, you have a potential shop, you have some wood. That's all the experience needed :rolf:

Now dig in here with us and start nurturing that Wood Guy Disease:icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS