Another new member.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuckd

New User
Chuck
I joined last March, but haven't done much on this site yet. I've made a few odds and ends, but have recently started woodturning. I'm really enjoying it and I've taken a couple of lessons at Woodcraft, but Raleigh is kind of far to drive.

In my travels I've met a couple of members who encouraged me to Join. A special thanks to Bill Clemmons who steered me this way. I'd like to post some photos, but am not sure how to go about it. I also ran into a member in Walmart the other day when I stopped to get something. I had a chance to see some of his bowls and I was amazed. They were great.

One thing that I could use some advice on is what speeds to use for various woods, how to prevent vibrations, and how to avoid tear outs.

I was reading the previous posting from the new woodturner from Cary and decided it was time I started participating.

Last, but not least is there a wood turners fourm on the site?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32

wood turning forum, but I think you found it already.

Tear out is the result of dull tool and wrong angle. Keep your tools super sharp. Ride the bevel of you gouge or skew and lift the tool untill it just bites the wood.

Practice by hand turning the wood or if you have variable speed lathe then try turning on the very slowest possible speed. This will let you observe the effect of the cutter on the wood.

Vibrations? Could be out of balance wood, non-concentric wood, lathe too light, tool extended too far over tool rest, dull tool, etc. etc.

Speed depends more on diameter than species. Smaller stock should spin faster, larger stock should spin slower, big out of balance bowl blanks should crawl.

posting photos
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/content.php?r=159-How-to-upload-photos-and-post-on-this-site

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Jim and Bill Wallace used to teach a turning course at Alamance Tech. I know Jim is a member here so you could try to contact him and see if the course is still offered.

Roy G

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome aboard, Chuck. You have come to the right web site.

+1 to Mike's comments. Grab any wood you can find to practice with (tree limbs and branches, green turning is the easiest) - just make sure it is as close to straight as possible, and that you have it chucked up really tight. The more you put into it the more you get out of it.

Chuckd

New User
Chuck
Thanks to all who answered my post. Hopefully in the near future I will post some picture of what I made.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I've seen some of Chuck's bowls and he's really off to a great start. I know he's interested in doing more w/ segmented bowls.

Charlie, I've suggested he look at some of your work, or maybe even come over for a visit when you're back up to full speed.

Chuck, I'm glad you finally decided to join in. I'll be happy to help you w/ posting some pics if the tutorial Mike posted doesn't get you there.

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Welcome to the group. I wish I was still close by, I'd pop over to compare notes. You have a wealth of knowledge around the area... You're in good hands. :)

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Welcome to the sawdust pile Chuck. You have a wealth of info over in Liberty with Bill Clemmons. Lots of great turners on here. A visit to Charlies will really inspire you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS