Another new guy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Synghyn

New User
Jonathan
Howdy folks, nick is Synghyn, real name is Jon, feel free to use either. I'm a shop guy from Chattanooga TN. I've done some kind of shop work since I was a kid, then fell out of it for a couple years while going to college/moving alot/living in closets sold as apartments/etc. Now I'm married and settled in Chatt with a nice little house and a nice little shop(about the size of a big one car garage(it's a converted carport).

I do a little bit of everything, woodworking, some metalworking, and put the two together to get knife and tool making as well. At least in theory, I travel alot for work so my time is limited. I'm sure alot of the folks here are in the same boat. Anyway, I'm checking out some forums to get some inspiration and try to get my juices flowing, to get me out in the shop a little more.

I guess that'd be a good question to start with, what get's you guys out in the shop to be productive, assuming your not a pro and dependent on it for income that is.

Hope I can fit in well and maybe have something useful to add from time to time.

Syn

Oh and if we have any members from the Chattanooga area or thereabouts, by all means, say hi.

Last edited:
M

McRabbet

Welcome to the site, Jon. I'm not sure if we have many others in your area, but you'll find we're a friendly bunch. Once you look around here some, you'll see we like pictures of shops, projects and even our mugs! Happy New Year and happy to see you here -- we'll look forward to your contributions.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
WELCOME ABOARD, SYN!
Best bunch of "wood junkies" anywhere right here. No question too tough, no question too easy. You will get answers here!

And, we love to see what you're doing, so get the camera out!

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Welcome Jonathon, I'm glad you could join us. Chattanooga's a great town. I've visited there many time. I lived in Knoxville for a while (UT grad) and my parents still reside outside of Nash-Vegas. I look forward to your input in the forum and hopefully seeing some of your work.
Dave:)

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Welcome Jonathan! This is the best WWing site on the whole WWW! Nice folks with friendly, positive attitude, unlike other wwing sites.
Don't hesitate to jump in with questions or suggestions. Pictures, Pictures, Pictures....did anyone say that already?:-D:lol:

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Welcome Jon,

It's always good to get new members, we look forward to all of your comments. As always, feel free to post at any time.

"come on in the waters fine"

Once again. WELCOME !

Jimmy:)

mcoston2

New User
michael
Welcome Jonathan. An answer to your first question, as for myself it is that I like time to unload thoughts and such. I can start a project and forget for a time about everything else.:) Again Welcome and enjoy:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

mburke911

New User
Mark
Welcome Jon. My wife motivates me to make things for the house or do upgrades to the house. When I finish that list :rolf::rolf::rolf::rolf: or when I just plain don't want to work on the list I do stuff I want to. It definately is hard to find time to have some fun.

Mark

Synghyn

New User
Jonathan
Thanks for the welcome folks, it's good to be here. I've been surfing around for pretty much the whole day while I should have been out in the shop :eusa_thin

Boy do I hear ya on that one Mark, the honey-do list from SWMBO can get pretty long. She's encouraging me to get out there and work though, so hopefully she'll cut back on the list a bit, hehe. Works been stressing me out a bit the last few months and like mcoston2 said, shop[ work helps me unload the brain and level off a bit, so I'm looking forward to doing just that a whole lot more. First order of business is just plain getting the shop together better, it's a wreck. I'll post up some pics of it as I get time to get some stuff done, and some year maybe I'll even do some real work :-D

Jon

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Welcome aboard! One thing that motivates me is perusing this site. Looking at what others are working on, getting ideas, thinking "I can do that" helps. When you get stuck, you post a question or ask an opinion and go from there.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Hi Jon,

Here's one more welcome to the NCWW. Glad you could join us. In answer to your question about what gets me out to the shop... I do requests... mostly from the family. LOML has the occasional home improvement idea, my son just asked for a new bookcase (actually for his DVDs, rather than books), my one daughter wants some shelves, another wants a table or two. And like you, I'm trying to figure out how to get my shop into some kind of order.

Again, welcome. And please do post some photos of your work... that's one of the ways we all get inspiration.

Ray

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
WELCOME!!

That's the danger of this site, I know I spend too much time reading posts and not enough in the shop...if only there was a computer program that would browse and read the posts to us as we worked in the shop...

It's great to have ya!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS