Another 3 phase question

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIKE NOAH

New User
Mike
After browsing one of the local salvage building centers that deal mostly with damaged freight a 20 in disc sander followed me home today. This unit is new but had been knocked over. I have been staring at this unit for over 8 months everytime I went in the store and even went to the trouble of looking up the cost of replacement parts. That's when I realized it was a 3 phase model (the rating plate wasn't visable at the time) and had pretty much lost interest in it as a result. Well the owner of the store kept on me for an offer and I made one, opps, on the trailer it went. The motor doesn't appear to be damaged at all, most of the 397 lbs falling over broke small cast pieces and a handwheel.
So here's my dilemma,
The unit is a PM DS20 3hp 3ph 9.8amps(IIRC) unit
Do I need a static phase converter, a rotary phase converter? Or since I am 3 ph challenged just buy WHM's replacement motor for their 2hp single phase DS20. Do I see myself requiring more 3 ph down the road?:no::dontknow: I quess never say never something else might follow me home.
Not matter what I do I think I'll come out okay money wise, well less than half price of a new unit. But it might spend a lil more time collecting dust rather than making it while I save up for a motor or converter.

If so all/any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike

tjgreen

New User
Tim
I am so not an expert on this - never done it, so hopefully someone with more experience will weigh in. The disclaimer out of the way: I looked into 3ph a couple years back due to an awesome deal (someone else got there while I was dithering). Basically, here's what I found out. Static phase converters are usually cheaper, but they also don't allow the motor to run at full capacity since they only deliver 3 ph at startup; after that, single phase, so no more than 2/3 of rated HP, less if you've got a Delta wound motor (or not at all, depending on the converter). They can also wear out faster, so might need replacing. A rotary phase converter delivers 3 phases, so your motor will run at full capacity, and will last longer, but is significantly more expensive. If you're somewhat comfortable with electrical work, I also found sites with instructions on building your own converter for a lot less - just google building a phase converter.

A friend at work has actually built one, and is super-helpful; if you want, I'd be happy to ask him for more info.

Good luck.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Bernhard, you're a man of few words... :rotflm:

Mike, check into a variable frequency drive - it may be the most cost effective solution for you. Jeremy (Woodwrangler) has one on his big bandsaw.

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS