An amazing discovery!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
When it comes to shop projects, I take my cue from Norm: Glue, and brads to hold things together until the glue dries. Well, I've discovered something: After the glue has dried, you don't need to remove the brads, you can just leave them in! I figured I'd pass on this time-saving tip.

Anyway, in the ongoing quest for storage and organization, a lumber cart to hold cutoffs. Two sheets of OSB, 6 casters, half a box of screws, some scrap plywood, a little glue, and a LOT of brad nails.

shorts_cart2.jpg

View image in gallery

shorts_cart.jpg

View image in gallery

BTW, I find firing a bunch of brads to be very therapeutic :banana: :banana:

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Nice Bas! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Every time Norm says, "I'm going to put a few brads in here to secure it," I usually cringe. Then, I watch "This Old House," and brads are suddenly ok. :gar-La;

I like your storage cart. :thumbs_up:thumbs_up Looks like something I would build. Now you just need one for all of that PVC next to it. :eusa_thin

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
As a fan of OSB, I applaud you featuring it in such a lovely piece of case work! A very useful storage solution.

I'm with you on the brad therapy. Once I start firing brads, its hard to stop. When I exceed a brad to wood ratio of 2 to 1, I know its time to stop. Sometime, you might want to fire up a framing nailer when the brad nailer isn't helping you work thru your issue.....

Jim

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
... you don't need to remove the brads, you can just leave them in! I figured I'd pass on this time-saving tip.

BTW, I find firing a bunch of brads to be very therapeutic :banana: :banana:

But Bas... if you just leave the brads in, where is the justification for a pneumatic removal device like NailOut http://www.nailout.com/ ? And NO!... I do not have WoodGuys Disease. I can stop buying tools any time I want.

Glennbear

Glenn
Nicely done Bas :eusa_clap as the proud owner of several brad guns, finishing nail guns, staplers, framing nail gun, and a pin nailer I am a firm believer in pneumatic fasteners especially for shop projects. As far as OSB for shop projects with the high cost of plywood and the beautiful grain variation available in OSB it is my go to material for shop fixtures and what I used for the interior shop walls. :gar-Bi

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
As far as OSB for shop projects with the high cost of plywood and the beautiful grain variation available in OSB it is my go to material for shop fixtures and what I used for the interior shop walls. :gar-Bi
It's light, cheap and looks "woody". The only downside is that it's too thin for pocket screws. And it gives lots of tiny little splinters. LOTS of splinters. :eek:

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
It's light, cheap and looks "woody". The only downside is that it's too thin for pocket screws. And it gives lots of tiny little splinters. LOTS of splinters. :eek:

And the dust is awful but I use it for shop projects all the time. My walls are even OSB.... That's a great cart BAS, a smaller version has been on my to do list for some time. Make sure you post the measured drawings and sketch-up file!!!!! :gar-Bi

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Since I don't use brads, could I just leave the clamps on my finished pieces? They could be a design element. :dontknow:

timf67

New User
Tim
But Bas... if you just leave the brads in, where is the justification for a pneumatic removal device like NailOut http://www.nailout.com/ ? And NO!... I do not have WoodGuys Disease. I can stop buying tools any time I want.

Did anyone watch the video on how this thing works? Am I the only one who bothered to follow the link to such a fascinating tool? Sure I can get a cat's paw for ~$5 but for 25 times more I can get a nailout! :gar-Bi

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
It's an air chisel with a turned down shank on a cat's paw. These guys may as well try to patent scrambled eggs.

Glennbear

Glenn
Did anyone watch the video on how this thing works? Am I the only one who bothered to follow the link to such a fascinating tool? Sure I can get a cat's paw for ~$5 but for 25 times more I can get a nailout! :gar-Bi

It's an air chisel with a turned down shank on a cat's paw. These guys may as well try to patent scrambled eggs.

Yep, I agree 100%. Are you as angry as I am that one of us didn't think of it first?

I do not have any planned demo projects however I do own an air chisel. :wink_smil I forsee some metalwork coming up involving a cat's paw, my grinder and cutoff saw. :gar-La;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS