Ambrosia Bowl

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluthart

New User
Brian
Thanks Dragon! Here is what I did today after I left. This wood is beautiful and easy to turn. Thanks again!

Christmas_Bowl_052.jpg

Dragon

New User
David
Thanks Dragon! Here is what I did today after I left. This wood is beautiful and easy to turn. Thanks again!

Christmas_Bowl_052.jpg

That is outfreakingstanding Man. Beautiful wood there. I'll have to get you to make me one or two for the wife to show off.:notworthy:

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Brian, that is a great looking bowl:icon_thum Dragon thank you for supplying the wood so that all of us can see the beauty that is inside of that tree:icon_thum

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
Brian,
that came out great,I'm looking forward to seeing what comes from the blanks I picked up yesterday.Had fun touring your shop and meeting your wife and the little princess.Unfortunately we never took any pix so did it happen?

DavidF

New User
David
Lovely looking bowl Brian! you're a luckier man than me when it comes to turning an ambrosia bowl! I am in the middle of an 8" salad bowl and boy is it a nasty piece to turn. I think the problem is that it was cut including the pith in the thickness. It is a total of 4 1/2" thick with about 2" the "wrong side" of the centre of the log. The grain in that area is tearing out horribly on the inside and is being a bear to get smooth even with the 60G gouge! The rim of the bowl is undercut so that may be adding to my misery. I could really do with turning the lathe in reverse, but I can't do that!! I've used more CA on this bowl than I care to imagine. And of course I have a shake across the end of the pith to boot! I am sure it will look ok when I am done, but a lesson learned again on blank selection I think.

DavidF

New User
David
I assume you turned that Green Brian, how is it handling the moisture change after turning, is it staying round? I partially turned mine green then wrapped it up for a month, but not sure whether that is strictly required. I spoke to a couple of turners at the Klinspore show and they don't bother, just turn it green, with fairly thin walls and the bowls seem to survive ok.

bluthart

New User
Brian
I assume you turned that Green Brian, how is it handling the moisture change after turning, is it staying round? I partially turned mine green then wrapped it up for a month, but not sure whether that is strictly required. I spoke to a couple of turners at the Klinspore show and they don't bother, just turn it green, with fairly thin walls and the bowls seem to survive ok.

I'll let you know if it moves much, and yes I turned it green, and very wet. I was getting sprayed at times. If it turns out well it is completely beginners luck. I haven't been turning very long at all. As for the other pieces I am trying to get them sealed up for a later time. Even if it doesn't turn out well, it still was a lot of fun!

bluthart

New User
Brian
Brian,
that came out great,I'm looking forward to seeing what comes from the blanks I picked up yesterday.Had fun touring your shop and meeting your wife and the little princess.Unfortunately we never took any pix so did it happen?

I guess I did forget to grab a camera. Maybe it is due to the Coors Light I was enjoying, or the fact I was picking your brain with turning questions. Come over any time! We'll see how badly the wood moves!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS