Already grew out of shop size. Need building for wood storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

dupont6480

New User
Tim
I received a call from a neighbor recently that she had 3 large black walnut trees cut down on her horse farm. She informed me that if I wanted the wood to come and get it because she was going to burn it next week. After 4 days of continual sweat and work I believe I have a life time of walnut. Problem now is I need additional storage outside the shop for this wood (once cut or rough turned) and other lumber. Question is this: Do I build an addition to my existing shop (pole barn type construction) or is a shipping container suitable for wood storage (good deal on a 40 foot locally). I have 5 acres so space is not an issue. Just looking for most suitable type storage that will allow for drying of green lumber etc. Also plan on moving A/C and DC out to new building and pipe into shop. Thanks in advance. Tim:dontknow:

tarheelz

Dave
Corporate Member
Check on the zoning, if any, where you are. The shipping container may (or may not) be an issue.

cpw

New User
Charles
First, I don't have any direct experience in this - never had that much stock, but just thinking it through, I would NOT want a shipping container unless you were going to control the interior temp and air flow. Otherwise you just have a hot box, not a kiln.

When I was growing up we would visit my grandparents who lived across the road from the lumber yard for a furniture plant. They kept it all out in the open - stickered and stacked with some kid of cover over the top layer to keep the rain out. I don't remember if it was plastic or sheet metal or what.

If it were me, unless I had reason to worry about theft, I'd just build an open air rack with a roof over it and let nature do its thing: Air-drying Hardwood Lumber

dupont6480

New User
Tim
Charles,
Great points. I was concerned about the air flow in the containers also. I like your idea for wood stowage. I do want to include my DC and Air Compressor in the same. . .
Thanks.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Tim,
See if you can get in touch with Scott Smith (scsmith42) http://quartersawnoak.com

- I know he has (and uses) a number of shipping containers.

You can get some firsthand advice...

I think it is a great idea, as long as they are not "Air-tight" (and I don't think they are) as Charles points out - even stickered wood in a pole-barn shed will get wet from driving rain - not good! :no:

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Tim, I added this "lean-to" style shed to the back side of another building for my wood storage. Pretty simple construction and inexpensive. The most expensive part was the concrete slab. You could put down a bed of gravel and be just fine, I think.

IMG_15522.JPG

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Tim, I added this "lean-to" style shed to the back side of another building for my wood storage. Pretty simple construction and inexpensive. The most expensive part was the concrete slab. You could put down a bed of gravel and be just fine, I think.

IMG_15522.JPG

Bill,
Isn't staining and "wet board ends" a potential problem?

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Once the wood is dry storing in a shipping container (flat stacked) is ok. The inside of the container will sweat some in the summer though.

The best system for ourdoor air drying - IMO - is to buy one of those $695.00 carport structures that you see advertised on the sides of rural highways, and put it over your stacked and stickered lumber. Provide enough room on the ends so that the stacks don't get wet in a typical rainstorm.

dupont6480

New User
Tim
Scott,
Finally the travel has slowed down. I do not imagine you still are holding the Anchorseal after this much time? I apologize for not getting back to you but left the area on short notice.
I did look at one of those carport stuctures and was concerned about amount of wind I get across my property. Still have not ruled that out though. I keep going back to using this with a dual purpose - wood storage and moving my DC and AIR Compressor outside and pipe into the shop. THanks again for the suggestion.

Tim

dupont6480

New User
Tim
Bill, I remember and thought about your wood storage when I first started planning for it. . . (Shop Crawl I attended) IF the gravel is sufficient I may lean towards that as a solution. Hope all is going well. Thanks, Tim

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Tim,
Sticking my nose in where it doesn't belong -
What if you bought the carport and used drill screws and put sides on it?!

you may have to come up with some stretchers between the uprights, but the basic structure is there...

dupont6480

New User
Tim
Not a bad idea. . . I was also considering some 6x6 or 8x8 poles and build a roof structure. . . crush and run or gravel over the dirt and then maybe a wood floor if needed. Or just come off of side of existing shop . . . Thanks, Tim

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Not a bad idea. . . I was also considering some 6x6 or 8x8 poles and build a roof structure. . . crush and run or gravel over the dirt and then maybe a wood floor if needed. Or just come off of side of existing shop . . . Thanks, Tim
You can check - I think some of those carport guys have a lean-to type model...

I was thinking the package deal might be less expensive than buying poles, sheet metal etc.

Don't forget for your DC and air compressor you could pour a small slab for them so they aren't sitting in the dirt / gravel..

Last edited:

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Bill,
Isn't staining and "wet board ends" a potential problem?

It hasn't been so far. The roof overhang is 24", so not much rain actually gets to the wood. At the bottom of the side walls is a 2" gap so it has good air flow, and everything seems to stay pretty dry.

Bill, I remember and thought about your wood storage when I first started planning for it. . . (Shop Crawl I attended) IF the gravel is sufficient I may lean towards that as a solution. Hope all is going well. Thanks, Tim

Several articles I've read on drying lumber outside have referenced putting down a layer of gravel before stacking the wood. Some also recommend putting down a plastic barrier under the gravel. Some of the Sawyers on here will know more about that than I do. As for the DC and air compressor, you'll probably want to put down a solid surface for support and stability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS