All Sold in Morganton - but check out the items and prices!

charlessenf

(;harles
Senior User

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
Seems when people are bidding against one another, the moon becomes a goal post... they can't stop at the actual worth of something lots of times. I found that true selling things on ebay, sold a lot of stuff for more than it cost to buy it new (mechanics tools).

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
The other thing that most bidders aren't thinking about at the time is the buyer's premium. That's 12.5% in this auction. It's good to understand all the costs before bidding, and then keep doing the math as you bid. I like to have a "what is the most I will pay" amount in mind, then subtract tax, shipping/delivery and buyer's premium to come up with my maximum bid amount. This often means I don't get the merchandise -- but I still have my money :).

charlessenf

(;harles
Senior User
The other thing that most bidders aren't thinking about at the time is the buyer's premium. That's 12.5% in this auction. It's good to understand all the costs before bidding, and then keep doing the math as you bid. I like to have a "what is the most I will pay" amount in mind, then subtract tax, shipping/delivery and buyer's premium to come up with my maximum bid amount. This often means I don't get the merchandise -- but I still have my money :).
Since GovDeals allows auto bidding, you can determine the Most You Will Bid, place your bet an wait to see if you get it or get 'out bid'

1. Determine what it is worth to you. X
2. Determine/discover sales tax rate e.g 7% STR
3. Determine Buyer Premium 12.5% BP
4. Then divide X by (1+STR) and, then divide that result by (1+BP) and the result is your Maximum Bid Amount

So, if you thought that Jointer was worth a hundred and twelve dollars:

$112/1.07 = $104.67 and $104.67/1.125 = $93.04

Now, I did this in two steps, but I think it can be written as (($112/1.07)/1.125) = $93.04

wolfsburged

New User
Bill
I've given up on the government surplus auctions. Stuff just goes sky high.

That being said, one of those was a cast iron deco base jointer, which is pretty desirable.

charlessenf

(;harles
Senior User
I've given up on the government surplus auctions.
I have never had good luck at any auction.
This often means I don't get the merchandise -- but I still have my money

I bought four surplus ceramic wall-mounted sinks for thirty dollars or so, they threw in a wall-mounted toilet and tank and some mounting brackets. I put 'em on craigs list and sold the the sinks for $125 each (three to one guy who drove from Ashville to get them. Make you a deal on the wall-mounted American Standard toilet . . . It's like poke her, you got to know when to walk away.

It doesn't cost a dime to put in a bid . . .

Years ago I got a handful of stolen cell phones and hooked a couple (Nokias) up to a PAYGO plan where they rolled over your unused minutes. That plan cost me $2.50/month for each phone. Try getting that price today! And, if they still made batteries for those phones, I'd have one still!

Where there's a crowd bidding - well, you may never get a great deal. But, put the closing date in your calendar and wait till the day before to check the bidding activity. Enter your price and get some sleep. You may wake to a bargain or . . . Nothing ventured.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
I also factor in mileage ($0.52+/-) two ways in my bid.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
I've lately noticed that aggressive bidding trend on the older USA-made machines almost regardless of condition. I think the sheeple are wising up.

cfield60

jeff
User
I bought a 10K jointer that had not been used at a school auction for $600 total. 16 1/2" wide and over 100" long still coated in cosmolene from the factory. Installed a shelix head (which cost twice as much as the jointer) and this thing performs marvelously. Right place, right time I guess.

charlessenf

(;harles
Senior User
I also factor in mileage ($0.52+/-) two ways in my bid.
The fuel cost for the Tacoma (2007 4cyl 2wd) has averaged $0.14 per mile since we bought it new. I have not included maintenance or depreciation and such. Is $0.52 what the Feds allow on you income tax forms?

Do you do the same for grocery shopping, etc. ?

BTW I factor in milage as well, but often figure "If I get it for this price, I'll get to go to a place I've never been to before - could be fun" - "Do they have a ReStore en route?" "Or a Maryland Fried Chicken joint?" You know, take the wife on an adventure!

Last edited:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS