alder

Status
Not open for further replies.

bguil

New User
beeg
Does anyone have experience finishing knotty alder? I am getting 3 unfinished doors for a project and will need to stain them? Any blotching, etc.?
thanks
bguil

sediener

New User
Steve
I've never used alder, but you can protect most any wood from blotching with a coat of 1/2lb cut shellac prior to staining.

- Steve

Does anyone have experience finishing knotty alder? I am getting 3 unfinished doors for a project and will need to stain them? Any blotching, etc.?
thanks
bguil

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Haven't played with alder myself... so I looked it up in the Wood Bible. It noted that Alder takes stains and finishes well. It also made note of how soft and fibrous the stuff is, so make sure your tools are sharp.

Ray

tonyps

New User
Tony
I used Alder a couple of years back to make some outdoor tables. Works easy, light weight, stains up really nice. I used a few coats of clear poly on one, and some redwood and off green stain on another,,,,It has a beautiful red/gold color that it would be a shame to hide...
Just my $.07 worth...

Tony ...

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I don't know about finishing but your Alder offcuts and scrap make some tasty smoke...especially for Salmon on the grill. YUM, YUM, Eatem' up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors