Advice on Bench Vise

Status
Not open for further replies.

rick7938

New User
Rick
I need to build a new workbench for my little shop. I am confused about the different vises that I have seen in all of the catalogues. I don't know the real difference between an end vise and a side vise, etc.

I think that what I want is a vise that mounts under the workbench top, that can accept wooden inserts, but that has a dog so that I can use it to clamp pieces of wood against bench dogs.

Can someone give me guidance on the virtues of the different vise configurations and what might be considered a general purpose woodworking vise? My workbench will be too small (approx. 2' X 5')to have two vises I think, so what would be your suggestions?

Thanks for any advice or suggestions.

JohnsonMBrandon

New User
Brandon Johnson
Rick,

What kind of work will you normally be doing on this bench?

I have grown to love a patternmakers vise after taking Woodguys rocker class. I know I will eventually have one.

Last edited:

chris99z71

New User
Chris
Great link, Chris! I learned something about vises!
If you scroll down to the bottom of that page there's a link to "a bench for the first time builder". I think that he's got a good philosophy about a woodworker's first bench:

"Any woodworker who builds a bench will want to build a second one. I suspect this is true because a woodworker can only learn what he really wants by spending a lot of time working with his first bench...So you can make the best of Key's Law by making your first bench as fast, as good, and as inexpensive to build as possible. That way you have something reasonable to work with while you are pondering your ultimate bench. Don't make the same mistake I did - avoid the temptation to get it perfect the first time - build this bench instead."
http://web.archive.org/web/20030621101324/www.terraclavis.com/bws/beginners.htm

God knows I'm not going to try to make some Monty-esque piece of sheer beauty as my first bench...

Jonz

New User
Chris Jones
rick7938 said:
Can someone give me guidance on the virtues of the different vise configurations and what might be considered a general purpose woodworking vise? My workbench will be too small (approx. 2' X 5')to have two vises I think, so what would be your suggestions?

I feel like my setup is pretty general purpose. I have a 9" steel quick release vise on the front left of my bench. When I added the apron to the bench, I mortised the back jaw into it, then added a whole second apron board over that one so that the back jaw is actually inside the apron. Then I just added a wooden piece for the front jaw.

rick7938

New User
Rick
Both of the articles cited are excellent. I printed both of them for reference. As I see it, I will be using the vise mostly for light planing of relatively thin pieces of wood, holding pieces of wood for routing for loose tenons, etc. I don't see myself using the vise for anything heavy duty in the near future.

From reading the articles, I am considering putting my table into a corner and bracing it against two walls for stability since it will probably be relatively light in weight. Even with the bench that I have now, I find myself working 90% of the time from one end and one side.

I think that what I will try first is a side vise mounted on the end with a dog available for clamping against bench dogs. If that one is a flop, I will regroup and build another one.

Thanks for all of the input.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS