Advice Needed on Somethings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dudelive

New User
Dude
Ok first of all I acquired a dust collector today from CL, this one here as best I can match-up from HF;[FONT=arial, sans-serif] model number [/FONT][FONT=arial, sans-serif]97869-0VGA.

As I have read here before using 4" pvc seems to be no problem with this type as long as no 90 degree elbows are used sloping turns only. I have a small shop only 13 x 18 so space is tight. Yes the dust catcher is larger than the picture looked but that is ok too. I plan to run flexible from the collector "Y" run it up and over to near the band saw, router, a[/FONT][FONT=arial, sans-serif] miter saw, lathe and [/FONT][FONT=arial, sans-serif]bench top table saw (I know that needs to go). Would it be ok to run the down drop for all 5 and just switch the hose to which ever one I was using? I ask it this way because of space I have to put away some tools before I can use another.

I was looking at it after I got it home and noticed that the intake on the suction side was actually a 5" intake although it has a Y that reduces it to 2 4" connections. Would it bo ok to use the other 4" side as a vacuum cleaner for the floor with a smaller hose?

What size breaker does this need to run on? It tripped an outlet strip that I first plugged it into. Then In got unlazy and got a heavy drop cord like I shoulda done to start with.

I know, I know....no pictures it ain't there at all.....the batteries are dead in the camera..

[/FONT]

BillPappas

New User
Bill
I would try to keep the flex tubing as short as possible because it is killer on the flow compared to the PVC. If you move the hose from machine to machine invest in a plastic quick disconnect that allows you to just slip it on an off each machine.

If you use the second port for cleaning up that is ok but you want blast gates on both ports as close to the Y as possible to keep the flow dedicated to the run you are using. I had the larger HF Dust Collector and it needed a 15 amp breaker if memory is still intact.

Best of luck!

Bill

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
You need a 20A circuit for this thing. It draws a lot of power.

PVC pipe is better than flex because it has less resistance, but there lots of tradeoffs.
You may want to consider running PVC to two opposite areas in the shop (each with a blast gate), and then using a relatively short piece of flexible hose to move between the machines in that section.

As for using the Wye, you really only want one leg active at any time, and not divide the flow. You can certainly use the DC as a vacuum, many people use "floor sweeps" to help keep the shop clean. Be careful you don't suck up any bolts, nails etc., those aren't compatible with a spinning impeller. If you have a trash can separator, it's less of a concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors