Advice for stripe-painting technique?

Status
Not open for further replies.

modhippee

New User
modhippee
New to this site. Wanting to find a good technique for painting stripe patterns on wood & walls without bleeding. The more I press on blue masking tape, the more bleeding happens. Aaaargh!!:kamahlitu

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Welcome to NCWW!

When you get a second, drop by the "Who We Are" forum and introduce yourself.

As for the strip painting check out http://www.frogtape.com/

I saw it at Lowes last weekend after seeing it posted here. It's not cheap, but it sure looks like it works.

Now you've gotta post pictures when it's done so we can all marvel at your handy work :-D

erasmussen

New User
RAS
+1 for frog tape :thumbs_up

But there is another trick to eliminate bleeding when painting stripes. Let's say you are painting a blue stripe on a white wall

1. paint the wall white and allow the paint to dry
2. mask the area for the blue stripe
3. paint the stripe white and allow it to dry
4. paint the stripe blue.

Step #3 allows the white paint to bleed onto the white wall and seal the tape to the wall. We have used this trick numerous times with flawless results.

George

Thats good stuff to know
I learn something on here all the time :eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Great tip George! This was my first BFO (Brilliant Flash of the Obvious) of the day. :widea:
Why haven't I thought of this before?

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
But there is another trick to eliminate bleeding when painting stripes. Let's say you are painting a blue stripe on a white wall

1. paint the wall white and allow the paint to dry
2. mask the area for the blue stripe
3. paint the stripe white and allow it to dry
4. paint the stripe blue.

Step #3 allows the white paint to bleed onto the white wall and seal the tape to the wall. We have used this trick numerous times with flawless results.

George

Fabulous! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Ernie

modhippee

New User
modhippee
Thanks for the tips. Re: the multiple paint-over technique - Necessity is the mother of invention, huh? Sounds time consuming. Could work on a bathroom wall where I want to do an eggshell & flat of the same color for a wall paper effect, but for a fake stable door on a barn/tree house I'm working on for the boys room, the frog tape sounds easier. Plus, from the site, looks like it would work well with ceiling edges & such. Hmmmmmm.

This forum rocks for immediate input & sage advice! Impressed! Smilies a little cheesy, but they work too.:eusa_clap

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
We didn't use George's method (which I will remember in the future), but once we put the tape on the wall, we went over it with a 4" mud knife one pass. Seemed to help.

Thirds on the frog tape!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS