Adventures in tool picking, a gloat...

Status
Not open for further replies.

D Sikes

New User
Derek
4102213086_9ef42212db_m.jpg

I've always heard that you can't walk through an antique store without tripping over a Stanley jack plane and I've mostly found that to be true until I started shopping for one. I was able to find a decent user for an okay price but I had to laugh because wooden planes and stanley transitionals outnumbered the iron planes about 10 to 1 today (okay, I'm counting a large collection of molding planes, but they were selling them individually).

I also managed to pick up a useless Stanley 42X that is frozen in time and in plunger. Resto projects abound. There were a couple of nicely priced disston sawsets as well, so I may be heading back tomorrow.

Getting back to the jack planes... I had 2 choices, one was older (post latteral but pre-war I think) and the other was probably late 50's. I went with the cheaper of the two, even though the handles had been crudely painted black. It had a mess of walnut shavings hiding under the frog which I took as a good sign. One side is off by about 1/32nd towards the top of the hump I'm not really too worried about it right now, but at some point I'll square it up. After sanding off the paint of the totes I put a coat of poly on them and called it a day. Reminds me of old wood flooring because the grain and pock marks still have a little bit of black from the paint.

Next I'll be shopping for a No 7 and then I'm done with planes for a while.

Dragon

New User
David
Great score. There's a small antique shop right up the road from me that I stop into from time to time. Found a few interesting items but the owners were really proud of them so I decided to let them hold on to them. I buy things to use not exhibit in some museum. About the only antique tool I own is a 1942 True Temper GI machete that I've had for over 20 years. It's cut down many small saplings, briars, and even a couple of trees.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Good on ya! That crude black paint may have been original but it's your plane and you have to use it, so do what makes you feel better about it.

II have a fair set of user tools aquired the same way. All junk tools that I have or will restore to a level I am comfortable with using. I think the highest price I have paid is $40 and I really struggled with that one, but it was a nice #40 scrub plane that i needed.

IMG_0643.JPG

D Sikes

New User
Derek
I'm 99.99 percent positive that it was black enamel spray paint on the totes, they had been repaired and repainted at some point in their lives. I do think that they were more then likely black originally, but all of the stanley's I've seen with black handles (like my #4) have nice black laquer on them, even if it's checked it's still reasonably smooth. I think someone was probably trying to dress it up.

D Sikes

New User
Derek
On the topic of you finding a good plane at a fair price, You Rock!

On the topic of being finished with planes...... :rotflm:

LOL, maybe I should rephrase that, I'll be done with Bailey Bench Planes for a while.

:eek:ccasion1

I did pick up a Disston No 2 saw vice with the gizmotron file holder and a couple of saw sets. The wife shouldn't leave me alone for a weekend. It's easier to slide this stuff under the radar then a triple digit shiny new plane or saw. It just looks like more old crap in the garage to her!

cpowell

New User
Chuck
LOL, maybe I should rephrase that, I'll be done with Bailey Bench Planes for a while.

:eek:ccasion1

I did pick up a Disston No 2 saw vice with the gizmotron file holder and a couple of saw sets. The wife shouldn't leave me alone for a weekend. It's easier to slide this stuff under the radar then a triple digit shiny new plane or saw. It just looks like more old crap in the garage to her!

No vintage Stanley/Bailey?? So, what's that leave...LN, LV,....what? :gar-La;

Chuck

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
"one side is off 1/32 on the hump"

Sounds to me like you have a good user. Always nice to have another Jack so you can have one cambered and one straight. (and one scrub if necessary!) I haven't had the pleasure of finding one with a square side as-is for use on a shooting board. Have had to dress up all (one #4, two #5s, one #6 and one #7). All pre-WW II.

Good on Ya. You Rock!!

Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS