Admin & webmaster's email

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
As soon as as I finish typing this message, I will start the forwarding the email to those that supplied their email addresses.

What are are you going to get. Not much most of the time. It is mostly status messages and an occasional Spam.

The things to pay attention to are New Users. This is where we can sometimes head off spammers and trolls. But be careful, sometimes something that looks suspicious is really valid. For instance, jhacker:roll: just joined. But that's his name:eusa_danc

Database errors are reported here. Generally, don't worry about a few here and there if the site is functioning. But if things are going badly, the DB errors will provide clues. The DB errors are generally NOT the cause of the problems, just side effects of the real problems. I f the DB itself goes down, there will be no error messages.

Another message that mystify you, is the message that looks a post notification message sent to the webmaster. It's not. Someone got a notification message and in their posting frenzy, replied to the email instead of going on the site. This reply goes to the webmaster, since all notification messages are sent from the webmaster's email.

The other type of message are the ones that come through the Contact Us link. These are issues usuallythat we have to deal with. Eventually, I will put a new "help Desk" system in place and those should mostly go away.

If I see any others that need explaination, I'll post about them here. If you have questions about any of them, also post here.

Oh, one other thing. Automatically generated emails from the 2 addresses in question are sent (first smtp relay) from woodworker.coles-sys.com. That the real name of our server.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Steve I am getting notifications of PMs that are not addressed to me. Is that normal?
Just got this one this morning:

Dave:)

Attachments

• Rob.doc
    28.5 KB · Views: 156

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
First Post in Thread said:
Another message that mystify you, is the message that looks a post notification message sent to the webmaster. It's not. Someone got a notification message and in their posting frenzy, replied to the email instead of going on the site. This reply goes to the webmaster, since all notification messages are sent from the webmaster's email.

:rolf: :rolf: :eusa_danc
Send the sender a note telling them what they did wrong

M

McRabbet

Mike admitted that he is not real computer literate -- if you read the "broadcast message" in Rob.doc, you'll see I asked him to send the file as an attachment to an e-mail to me and gave him my e-mail address. He erred in sending it to the webmaster e-mail address. I've PM'd him back and he send me an e-mail to my address this morning saying he'll snail mail me the CD with his Box Turning article. I think this was a random event -- sorry that it created an issue.

Rob

DaveO

New User
DaveO
No issue, just a new feature, and the possibility of a few bugs. Sound like this was just user error. I had a feeling that it was sent to the wrong address, but just wanted to check.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Question??? When a member does accidental send a PM to the webmaster/admin instead of the intended receipient does the intended person not get that PM. Roger, did you get one from Hardcharger in response to moving his Sandpaper post to Buy & Sell??? I just want to make sure that folks are getting what people think that they are sending.
Do y'all think that it might be a good idea to create a tutorial on how to reply to a e-mail notification of a received PM ????

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Question??? When a member does accidental send a PM to the webmaster/admin instead of the intended receipient does the intended person not get that PM. Roger, did you get one from Hardcharger in response to moving his Sandpaper post to Buy & Sell??? I just want to make sure that folks are getting what people think that they are sending.
Do y'all think that it might be a good idea to create a tutorial on how to reply to a e-mail notification of a received PM ????

If i understand correctly what is happening, the intended recieptant DOS NOT get the message.:sad9cd:

sapwood

New User
Roger
Duh, no! I sent personal PM to Harcharger14 regarding post move but did not receive a response from him from Private Messages or my home email. Although I did get a email the other day from webmaster/admin regarding a bad link on a Michael Garner post.

Perhaps I do need a tutorial. :eusa_doh:

Roger

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Roger, I don't think that you did anything wrong. I think that when members receive an e-mail notifying them of a PM, they are mistakenly replying to the PM through the webmaster's e-mail address, instead of going to the site to reply to the sender via the PM system.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Gotcha! Applicable only when member has User CP set for notification by regular mail, right?

roger

Monty

New User
Monty
OK, now I finally understand why this is happening. I added this to the email that users will receive from now on:

NOTE: Please DO NOT reply to this email - you must log in to the forum to reply to your new private message.

That should do it... right? :eusa_whis

DaveO

New User
DaveO
That sounds good, if it will help the situation...we'll see :5dunce: :dontknow: :lol: :lol:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Only if you provided an e-mail address to Steve when he requested one several weeks ago via PM. This is just another step to reduce the day to day burden of the sites operation for him ...and to raise our interest levels, by getting strange e-mails :lol: :lol:

M

McRabbet

I've been getting them, too because I gave Steve my e-mail address -- we really need a procedure to follow -- I have not responded to any (most are new registrations), because I don't really know what type of response is appropriate and if there really is a procedure for these. I did see Monty's post on deleting one earlier today.... Guidance?

Rob

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Most of the e-mail you will get doesn't need a response, just a careful lookin' over. I was just surprised to be getting other member's PMs, as they are Private Messages. Now we all can see what Steve has been getting on a daily basis, and why he wants to delegate the pleasure :-D

Monty

New User
Monty
hehehe... I guess adding that phrase was not quite good enough! If you look way down at the bottom of the PM we most recently received, you'll see the phrase I added:

> NOTE: Please DO NOT reply to this email - you must log in to the forum to
> reply to your new private message

I'll change its position so it's up at the TOP next time! :lol:

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
hehehe... I guess adding that phrase was not quite good enough! If you look way down at the bottom of the PM we most recently received, you'll see the phrase I added:

I'll change its position so it's up at the TOP next time! :lol:

.....and maybe use bold font or another color.:lol:

D L

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS