Adjustable Safety Clamp

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC7CN

New User
Don
I was intrigued with the ShopNotes Adjustable Safety Clamp (Vol 18 Issue 103) submitted by Gary Kemper, and proceeded to build one. After I was well into the project, I began to question just how well it would work! Not one to quit, I continued with the project, although the jury is still out as to how much it will get used.

1_P1030126.jpg

Now for a few comments about the article!

There are a few dimensions missing! The instructions tell you to start by drilling holes down the center of an extra-wide (2-3/4") workpiece, that will become the two sides. I could not find dimensions for where to start drilling, or how many holes to drill! The detail drawing indicates 1/4" diameter holes, spaced 3/8". After drilling the holes, you then rip the piece down the center to form the two sides. I questioned this step - how much of the hole will be left after ripping. Not enough DAMHIKT! :wmad: It might work with a fine tooth band saw blade!

In any case, if you decide to build this project, I recommend that you rip the stock before you drill the holes. Run the two pieces through the jointer for a clean tight joint. Clamp the tow pieces back together and drill the holes down the center of the joint.

I tested the clamp on the table saw, and it does have a good grip! One disadvantage is the minimum width of your stock must be wider than the clamp (1-1/2"). One of the uses I had in the back of my mind was to use it for small parts on the router table.

-Don

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I saw the article too and was tempted to build one myself. It looks like a functional addition to any TS but I'd probably make a shorter version to go with it if I made one. Nice job.

Last edited:

KC7CN

New User
Don
I was intrigued with the ShopNotes Adjustable Safety Clamp (Vol 18 Issue 103) submitted by Gary Kemper, and proceeded to build one. After I was well into the project, I began to question just how well it would work! Not one to quit, I continued with the project, although the jury is still out as to how much it will get used.

-Don

On the chance that Gary Kemper might have read this post, I felt obligated to post this response to the comment I made about the jury verdict. I have used tje Adjustable Safety Clamp several times, and it does provide that extra measure of safety. I like it!

-Don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS