Aaaaaggghhhh!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
:eusa_thin I got my new PM2000 saw home with Travis's help yesterday evening. So All is going great assembling it today. Wings go on fine. Front rail fine. Then, when putting on the back rail the second bolt head snaps right off!:BangHead: I was not even applying much torque. I go get a screw extractor. Drill a hole in the broken bolt. Insert the extractor and....the extractor breaks in the hole in the bolt!!!:BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: Now what? :-( :eusa_doh: :eusa_thin

Doug

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
:eusa_thin I got my new PM2000 saw home with Travis's help yesterday evening. So All is going great assembling it today. Wings go on fine. Front rail fine. Then, when putting on the back rail the second bolt head snaps right off!:BangHead: I was not even applying much torque. I go get a screw extractor. Drill a hole in the broken bolt. Insert the extractor and....the extractor breaks in the hole in the bolt!!!:BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: Now what? :-( :eusa_doh: :eusa_thin

Doug

You go--------:BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: :rolf:

Jerry

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
basically i would just forget it for a minuit and drill and countersink a new hole in the rail a few inches from the problem bolt and drill and tap a new hole in the saw. of coarse then you gotta be carefull to not break the tap in the hole!:roll: DAMHIKT... the cast iron drills and taps easily enough and the new hole wont matter soon enough. so long as you dont drill it someplace that interfears with sumthin else!!! like maybe the miter slot?:rolf: .

fred p

jaustin

john
Corporate Member
can you get to the backside of the bolt and grap it with a pair of vice grips and turn it out.

they make an extractor for broken easy outs also.

you willnot be able to drill the easy out without going thru a lot of bits.

have you tried to turn the extractor out? by taking a punch and taping so it will turn counter clockwise?

alleng

New User
allen
is the threaded end of the bolt sticking through so you can use vise grips to turn it out? or possibly drill a new hole close to it,i dont know of a bit hard enough to drill the extractor,as they are hardened steel.hope you get this fixed soon and makin dust with that new toy,i know its frustrating.i got a new ridgid tablesaw 2 weeks ago,and like you things were goin good.till the second wing.... there were NO mounting holes in it to mount to the table,or to mount the rails.so there i was drilling holes in my brand new saw in order to finish assembly.no way was i goin to try puttin it back in the box,and driving an hour to hd:BangHead: .to make a long story short,I FEEL YOUR PAIN BROTHER.makes me wonder what kind of qc they have at ridgid.hope you find a remedy to this problem and quick.keep us posted on the progress

daclgr

New User
Clark
Doug,
Did the hole that you drilled go all the way through? If so can you get to the backside to drive the extractor out? If you can,t get to it to drive it out can you use a c-clamp and a short nail to press it out. You may even be able to use another extractor from the back side however if you have the hole to large then that is where your problem is. When you turn the extractor in it will expaned the walls of the bolt just making it tighter.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
SOLVED!!!!

I took a break and came back. I dimantled the extension wings and front rail. Then I took of the top. The bolt was sitting there and easily turned in my hand. Problem solved!!!!:-D

Now I am attaching my Incra rail system and hope to have it done before bedtime! Of course I need to go to the HD for a plug. As expensive as this sa is they could include a couple of the most common plugs??:eusa_thin

Thanks for the suggestions guys. You can imagine my mood as this was happening. Only lost about 3 hrs of time.:lol:

Doug

sapwood

New User
Roger
You and Travis managed to get the PM unloaded 8-O That's a plus. :icon_thum You solved the first problem :icon_thum You're making progress Doug, but don't be surprised if others pop up :roll: It always takes me 4 times as long as I planned to do something like that. And I always have to buy more bolts, nuts, washers. And I always have a bag of parts left over :eusa_doh:

Good luck and if you get bogged down give me a shout. I'm not much of an engineer, but I commiserate quite well :mrgreen:

Roger

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Thanks Roger. You hit the nail on the head. I am trying to attach my Incra rails. I am now searching for the alignment items to set them up correctly.

In addition (oh uh!) I attached a plug and plugged the saw in and while the green light comes on the motor does not start. I KNOW we ran 230 Volts to that outlet. I am going to check the spec on the motor and call my electrician buddy later or tomorrow. If is not one thing is another!

Il legitimus non corbarundum! (Don't let the bastards grind you down).

Doug

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
You and Travis managed to get the PM unloaded 8-O That's a plus. :icon_thum You solved the first problem :icon_thum You're making progress Doug, but don't be surprised if others pop up :roll: It always takes me 4 times as long as I planned to do something like that. And I always have to buy more bolts, nuts, washers. And I always have a bag of parts left over :eusa_doh:

Good luck and if you get bogged down give me a shout. I'm not much of an engineer, but I commiserate quite well :mrgreen:

Roger
Quicky Quiz, If you start a project that requires hardware (bolts, and nuts), and you have in your pocession 100 bags that each contain 100 bolts, with nuts, and washers. Each bag is a different size bolt. Now the hard part, what two variables haven't I told you that will determine if you have to make a "hardware run? I'll post answer in a post below, no CHEATING. Think hard!

sapwood

New User
Roger
Quicky Quiz, If you start a project that requires hardware (bolts, and nuts), and you have in your pocession 100 bags that each contain 100 bolts, with nuts, and washers. Each bag is a different size bolt. Now the hard part, what two variables haven't I told you that will determine if you have to make a "hardware run? I'll post answer in a post below, no CHEATING. Think hard!

How many of each size is needed ;-)

Roger

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Answer, How long before the hardware store closes, and how far is it to the store. Closer to closing time and the farther to store is away, the more likely you will have to go. Works for me every time. "When my ship comes in, the dock workers will be on strike."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors