A Video Explanation, and Demonstration, of Kick-Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
We need to make sure EVERYONE sees this video - while it wasn't safe for him to make it - now that he did it should be a lesson for everyone!!!

Thank you for sharing this Susan.

Last edited:

tarheelz

Dave
Corporate Member
My wife saw this video about a year ago. That ended my shopping for a table saw. SawStop or nothing, she says. (Of course, my argument that I could be killed by the kicked back piece of wood to the gut even with a SawStop did not sway her.)

Funny part is that my efforts to save for a SawStop PCS, now almost complete, have left me with some of the finest precision circular saw skills in the county! LOL (No one gives much consideration to the risks of a circular saw. Hmmmmm.)

LB75

George
Thanks for sharing this Susan. I haven't used the blade guard in years, that's about to change...

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
Scary. I sent this video to my son to explain to him why I told him NOT to use my father-in-law's table saw without proper training.

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
I guess everyone here has already seen this video.

[video=youtube;eiYoBbEZwlk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiYoBbEZwlk[/video]

Len

New User
Len
Yow! I can't believe he actually did that on purpose. What a waste of a push pad.

I'm not sure I'd call what happened a "kick-back" though, it seemed more like a high speed "throw-back" to me. For whatever reason, I think of table saw kick-back being associated with the cut becoming pinched, more than with the board being rotated like that. Hence the riving knife, to keep the kerf open.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
Except when using a dado set I always use my riving knife. But I am guilty of not using the blade guard and anti-kickback pawls. They simply interfere with or obstruct most of the cuts I routinely do. But then I typically don't break down sheet goods on the table saw which is where those devices would be especially needed.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
I have never had a kick back, due to the procedures I stick with on a table saw.

In the video I would never attempt to cut a block so small in size on a table saw, it is a no no.

Rick M

New User
Rick
The other lesson is that style of pushblock is meant for jointers and router tables, not tablesaws. His hand is between the handle and blade, when it kicked, the push block pulled his hand right toward the blade. I know that style has become popular in the last few years but I won't use one.

I got an early lesson in kickback. Back in HS shop class I saw an oak board fly out of a Unisaw and put a hole in the wall. Luckily the guy was standing to the side as taught but it made an impression. Our shop teacher was always preaching to never walk behind the saw while it was running but after that day he didn't have to preach anymore.

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
I have never had a kick back, due to the procedures I stick with on a table saw.

In the video I would never attempt to cut a block so small in size on a table saw, it is a no no.

How would you cut that block if you would not use a table saw?

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
My wife saw this video about a year ago. That ended my shopping for a table saw. SawStop or nothing, she says. (Of course, my argument that I could be killed by the kicked back piece of wood to the gut even with a SawStop did not sway her.)

Funny part is that my efforts to save for a SawStop PCS, now almost complete, have left me with some of the finest precision circular saw skills in the county! LOL (No one gives much consideration to the risks of a circular saw. Hmmmmm.)

I have had a minor kick-back with a circular saw when the kerf closed up on me. Not with the Festool though, it has a riving knife built in.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
How would you cut that block if you would not use a table saw?

On my bandsaw and to smooth the cut a couple of swipes with a hand plane.

My fingers or hands never get close enough to the table saw blade to be in danger should something go wrong.

If I only had a table saw and had to cut that, I would use a sled with a clamp and keep my hands way out of the danger zone. Woodworking for 50 years and still have all my digits, it is just not worth the risk to break the rules.

The same applies to a jointer and a spindle molder. Running short pieces over a jointer can kick-back worse than a table saw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS