A scrap quickie

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
After my wife lamenting about having to move my daughter's table and chairs from the living room to the deck depending on where the mood had her hanging out. She suggested that I make her an outside table. Here's my scrap-licious afternoon quicky of a kids picnic table. Western Red Cedar, glued and screwed, and then a coat of Waterlox Original S/F slathered on. I will sand down the dust nibs and put on a few more coats of Waterlox. It's not heriloom quality, but in a few years she won't be able to fit in it so who cares. Cost nothing, other than the Waterlox, and a few hours in the shop. Hopefully, enjoyment, priceless :-D :-D :-D
Picnictable006.jpg

Picnictable009.jpg

Thanks for looking:-D

Dave:)

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Dang-it DaveO! You've gone and done it again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

All in one afternoon???????????? That table sure looks like it would stand the test of time to me! That doesn't happen to be some of the Tea House scraps would it?

Another fine and envious job, DaveO!

Wayne

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Great looking table Dave.:icon_thum And to think......that was just scrape laying there in your shop when I visited last night. Thanks for getting the walnut for us. Those are some great looking boards I got from you last night.

D L

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Canuck said:
That doesn't happen to be some of the Tea House scraps would it?
Wayne

Where else am I gonna come up with a bunch of Western Red Cedar. I like to add at least 15% more wood to all of my projects, so I can end up with some good scrap on someone else's tab :-D
I got lucky and was able to rip down several 2 x 10 off cuts to give me almost entirely quarter-sawn stock, and then I re-sawed some of it to give me the 3/4" stock for the tops and seats. When you got waste you can have fun with your wood:-D

Big Mike

New User
Mike
That is just wonderful. I know your little girl will be thrilled to have her little friends over for picnics and what a nice picnic table to share milk and cookies on.:icon_thum

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
Looking good Dave!!:eusa_danc It really looks great and your daughter should be happy with it too, "free" wood too! You kill me as to how fast you crank this stuff out, I think you must have secret elves in your shop! :lol:

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Ozzie-x said:
Looking good Dave!!:eusa_danc It really looks great and your daughter should be happy with it too, "free" wood too! You kill me as to how fast you crank this stuff out, I think you must have secret elves in your shop! :lol:
Yup, Insta-Post-omatic here, and Elve-omatic in the shop. You think WG has ALL the highspeed stuff?

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Beautiful table Dave. :eusa_clap Just a few hours in the shop, huh. You must be using the high speed saw again.:lol:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Splinter said:
Just a few hours in the shop, huh.

I guess that it took around 6-7 hours to make, sand and slap on a little finish. So it wasn't that quick, but it was fun.
Thanks for everyone's kind words :-D

Jay

New User
Jay
Dave O

Sweet work that is a really nice looking table. I think you probably need to change your name from Dave O to scrap king or something similar! Great job once again.

Jay

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Another quality job by the FAMOUS DaveO! It's amazing how you keep churning this stuff out! Do you ever stop to do normal things like eat, sleep, etc.:lol: :lol: ?
Beautiful work,

JohnsonMBrandon

New User
Brandon Johnson
Nice job Dave. I have some western cedar sitting in my garage awaiting a project myself. I am thinking of building a garden bench.

Do you know if waterlox will keep out the UV Rays? I know I plan to leave my bench outside, but wasn't sure the best outside finish to use. Waterlox marine may be an option as well. Let me know what you guys think?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Brandon, I was gonna use Waterlox Original S/F, several coats, as the complete finish (I had it and needed to use it before it went bad). But then I liked the table too much and decided to use a spar varnish after the sealing coat of Waterlox. I don't care for the plastic look, but I think it will stand up to the weather much better. I have never used any of Waterlox exterior finishes, but I would suspect that they would be great to use.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Those pieces look too long and too wide to be considered "scrap"...right?? Do you now subscribe to WG's scrap definition? :lol: :lol:

The table looks superb for sure! I've never used spar varnish...is it sprayed or applied by hand/brush?

What a great place for a tea party...or anything you don't want to happen indoors!

Chuck

T

toolferone

Dave, I love that little table. I bet you could sell them if you wanted. It looks fantastic!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS