A more durable finish

Bryan S

Bryan
We met a fellow at a craft fair in downtown Burlington a few weeks back making cutting boards. He used colored and tinted epoxy in his processes and the misses had him make us this board with clear.

IMG_2878[1].JPG

It was her idea to join these 2 pieces and loved the result. I thought she was going to use this a a display piece only, but has now changed her mind and wants it to be used as a serving tray. He finished it mineral oil and wax, which is what I would have done, but I know that is not a durable finish.

I want a more durable finish and do not want to go with a varnish having it change the look. I have used mainly wipe on poly on my projects and I know it is far more durable, but will something like Watco would give me closer to the results she wants?

I Did invite the young craftsman to sign up and join us

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
This coat will hold up if you can minimize soapy water, it can easily be retreated. The oil and wax makes any top coat problematic. You'd have to take it off with DNA. If successful I would recommend either Osmo polyx or rubio mono-coat.

Bryan S

Bryan
I know that the wax would have to be removed and having plenty, was going to use mineral spirits. I did not know that DNA was a solvent for wax. I also know mineral oil is a non drying oil, but eventually will cure.

Having some mineral oil I could experiment.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors