A little something *w/pics*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
It wasn't much but I actually did a wee bit of WW on and off over the last few days. A friend of LOML had two 2-drawer units from an old (Singer?) treadle sewing machine that she wanted joined together and turned into a small cabinet. She already had stripped the finish off both pieces so all I had to do join them together, fit and piece together the existing base molding (she didn't want me to make new trim), make a Walnut top, and slap on a few of coats of satin poly. Sorry, no 'before' pics.

The drawer units came from a machine like this:

L1000597.jpg

Here are pics of the cabinet made from the joined drawer units. The new Walnut top is a little lighter in color, but I figure it will darken with age.

P6250006.JPG

P6250009.JPG

P6250007.JPG

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Great idea for recycling!!:wsmile::wsmile::wsmile:

Looks really nice, Alan. The finish really does flow and matches extremely well!

Bet someone is gonna be happy when they see it!:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

Nice work!

Wayne

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
That is very pretty. I like how the finish blends so well together. And you are probably right that the top will darken with age. I think you did a great job.

sawduster

New User
Robert
You're a pretty sharp cookie bro :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
:icon_thum :icon_thum Nicely done !! :icon_thum :icon_thum :icon_thum :icon_thum

T

toolferone

That's cool. She had a good idea and you did a great job making it for her.
I really like it.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
That's cool. She had a good idea and you did a great job making it for her.
I really like it.

Thanks.

The hardest thing for me was trying to decide how much of the original to keep and what to replace. I figured the antique value was already gone and it really needed a lot of rework- shorten one side (see next para), make new base molding, etc.- instead I thought it wiser to defer to her wishes and tried to make those work.

If you look closely, the base trim at the front (and back) is actually two pieces butted together. I told her I could easily make new base molding for the whole cabinet. Also, one cabinet was way out of square- one side was almost a 1/4" inch shorter than the other side (and the sides of the other cabinet!!!) The end result, since other considerations dictated which sides would be joined, is the back(s) are not co-planer. There is an offset where the two cabinets meet in back. Though it would have been more work and required more dis-assembly, if she had desired, I could have fixed that also.

Tom, the blades arrived yesterday- thanks. Now I need to reassemble the trimmer and keep from slicing off the tips of my fingers :eek:.

Ncdawgs1882

New User
Jonathan
Man Allan that Really turned out Great! I remember seeing it in the early stages at your shop! & Let me tell you I love the way that Black Walnut Finishes up! Thanks agin for everything!

Ncdawgs1882

New User
Jonathan
No Not yet I've used my hand plane & cleaned up a few pieces thinking about making a bench out of the big slabs you gave me! But I feel I need a few more tools before I can do what I want to with it!

T

toolferone

Alan, I hear what you are saying about fixing this or that or wrong sizes, out of square. I think it adds to the charm of the piece. It would have been different if it was a brand new built from scratch piece. Nope I think she had the right idea. Has she received it yet? Did she like it?

Yes please becareful with the knives!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS