A little "bit" of a gloat

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I picked this up today. Thanks to the folks especially Greg at the Raleigh Woodcraft for holding it for me and sticking around while I was frantically trying to make it there before closing. I was going to post about how do I use it, until I found the spacer still stuck to the packaging base. Now I know in theory how the bit works. I would love any advice from anyone who has used a bit like this. I guess I bury it in the fence the length of the tongue I want to create, and then with out changing any settings remove the spacer and add the groove cutter (as seen sitting on top of the bit set in the pic.)

TGbit001.jpg

Thanks in advance for any tips that y'all could offer:-D :-D :-D

Dave:)

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
You Suck!!!

Well, my suggestions are, it depends. If you are using your router table, use feather boards and your fence. If free hand, do like normal. I would make test pieces to check the fit of the joints.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Travis, I don't think that I can free-hand rout with this bit, it doesn't have a bearing to guide it. So the router table is my only option. I think that feather boards are a great suggestion, if I made my miter slot far enough away from center, or I might be able to clamp my Bench Dog FB to the table :eusa_thin

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I thought there was a bearing in the center, but oh well. You could still do it free hand with a fence on the router. That way the router would follow any bow in the boards. If you do use your table I would use featherboards vertically and horizontally.

Is this a 2 piece set or one bit interchangeable?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
One bit, where you change out the spacer for the slot cutter. It was the only one I could find in the Raleigh area in my time frame..none. I would have liked to get the Freud matched set, but no one carries it and I didn't have time to order anything.

erasmussen

New User
RAS
yep You suck.
without a bearing looks like a fence is the only way.
Be sure to tell us how good it works.:eusa_thin
I have been looking at some joint bits.

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
I'd be willing to bet the packaging says router table only. That is one big honkin' bit to think about using freehand.

Dave, make sure and mark your stock so that you are always routing with the same side down. The bit will not be perfectly centered no matter how hard you try. When you change out to your slot cutter, check to see that the cutter lines up with the tongue you just cut. If so, run a test piece and adjust if necessary.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Thanks Steve, that is the advice I am looking for. I will test cut several time before running my project stock through. The packaging says "Router machines only", so you are correct..I will use this on my "Router Machine":-D

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
You would think by now the Chinese would be translating a little better.....:mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS