...a few more simple projects

Status
Not open for further replies.

redhawknc1

New User
Wayne
My wife was wanting some cutting boards for friends this year for presents. Needed them for a trip she is taking for the next few days.Whipped up these in time...
Also, finished another little piece of Shop Furniture...a small plane till. Maybe I can get started back on my new bench now.
Christmas_2009_Cutting_Boards.jpg

plane_till.jpg

SawBuck

New User
Lonnie
The cutting boards look great Wayne! Did you season them with oil and wax? I'm working on a batch of cutting boards for Christmas too.

-Sawbuck

redhawknc1

New User
Wayne
As far as a finish, I just used Food Grade Mineral oil. I've used Salad Bowl Finish in the past. I like the mineral oil better.....Just wipe on until it quits taking any! I always have plenty of scrap wood, so I like to use it on the cutting boards. I will probably have to make a few more before Christmas. But it is quick and easy....

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Excellent work Wayne! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap I'm about to start on my first cutting board. I really like how you staggered the pieces. Might have to try that. :eusa_thin

One question. How did you glue them up?

I have one of those Bessey picture frame clamps (not sure what it's called). Thought about using that. :dontknow:

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Trent, I use these plans...Simple to be able to use my scraps, no matter the size. I use Jet 12 and 24" Paralell clamps for glue-up with Titebond 2 or 3.

http://woodworkerszone.com/wiki/index.php?title=End_Grain_Cutting_Boards

Those are really beautiful~!

Wow I was thinking when you said they are easy...... YEAH RIGHT.:swoon: I guess I don't have a creative/figure it out kind of brain.

Thank you So Much for that link. I am going to have to try making my first cutting board.

And way to go on making so many~!

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Trent, I use these plans...Simple to be able to use my scraps, no matter the size. I use Jet 12 and 24" Paralell clamps for glue-up with Titebond 2 or 3.

http://woodworkerszone.com/wiki/index.php?title=End_Grain_Cutting_Boards

Wayne, thanks so much for posting this link. I was thinking of trying to arrange every piece and then glueing them up at the same time. :swoon: I'll probably start on one this afternoon and that link is going to make it WAY easier. :gar-La;

redhawknc1

New User
Wayne
What I like about this method is that all I have to do is get each species the same width. Usually just joint the face and 1 side and rip to width. The species can be different widths but consistent within species. Each layup therefore can look different. Good way to utilize scraps.And I have plenty of those....

SawBuck

New User
Lonnie
On a side note, here is a link to a free software for cutting board design. It allows you to see the finished pattern before you start your project.

http://www.lastalias.com/cbdesigner/

It seems like I found the link in another thread on NC WW. Whoever posted it, THANKS!

-SawBuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors