A couple pens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaustin

john
Corporate Member
Thought I would share these with everyone since they are mostly NC theme pens.

I made the decals myself using decal paper ( like the type you used to use on model cars) and a printer.

Brother is a welder in South Carolina asked me to make him a pen with his sheet metal union logo

photobucket-51366-1354493086696.jpg

photobucket-17634-1354493129621.jpg

and couple of logo pens for a couple other family members.

photobucket-37716-1354493160736.jpg

photobucket-50640-1354493175664.jpg

photobucket-24689-1354493211402.jpg

Thanks for looking

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Great detail!

I too would be interested in how the decal process works.

Very clever! :eusa_clap

Wayne

jaustin

john
Corporate Member
Thanks all.
I will try to put something together this weekend.
I have to make a few more pens and will try to get pictures of the process.
I am currently at work on my phone, When I get home I will put up some info on how to make them.

I did learn how to make these on IAP penturners Web site.

There probably are many ways on doing this and i found the way that works best for me.

Last edited:

jaustin

john
Corporate Member
I use decal paper from
Inkjet Decal Paper

I use inkjet since that is the only color printer I have. Epson RX595

I make my logo using paint.net (you will have to figure out the size depending on the pen)
note the dimension in the below picture works for me on a Sierra style pen.

Then I place them in word and print extras just incase.

logo layout.png
I mainly use clear decal paper and a light color blank since white isn't a ink color.

i usually let it sit a day and dry after printing.

Then I spray it with Testors Decal Bonder spray I purchased this from Hobby Lobby in a kit that came with some decal paper.for $11.50 and you can sometimes find a 40% off coupon for hobby lobby. It is located in the model car section.

http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/custom-decal-system-995506/

Apply 2 med. coats at least a hr a part. then let it sit over night.

Then cut the decal out then apply it.(about 20 -25 sec. in water) smooth it out and let it sit over night and dry.

Apply Ca glue,
first coat I apply using what ever paper towels my wife buys. I apply it to paper towel then wipe it over decal and around the blank. (lathe off)

then at a slow speed i apply 6 or more coats of CA glue(i put a med coats on)

Wet sand it 400 grit
then i go thru the Micro Mesh grits

Then I buff it out using a homemade buffing set up using Tripoli then White Diamond

I will try and get some pictures this weekend

John

ebarr

New User
Wayne
I love it....I would have never thought to do that. I honestly thought this was going to be a complicated process involving pouring your own acrylic blanks. I think this is a pretty cool process. Thanks for sharing

jaustin

john
Corporate Member
I did a write up on creating decal pens and added some pictures. It is a PDF file so hopefully it will work.

Sorry for any miss spellings or grammar mistakes in advance.

John

Attachments

• Decal Pens.pdf
    896.4 KB · Views: 150

BobcatBob

New User
Bob
Good work on the article (pdf) and the pens. Thanks for taking the time to add another dimension to pen making.

Bob

BobcatBob

New User
Bob
I noticed in reading the pdf you had cones on the ends of the pen while you were putting on the finish. Did you make them or did you buy them? If you bought them, where did you get them? They look like they would be good to use especially when applying CA glue because it doesn't look like it would stick to it.

Bob

jaustin

john
Corporate Member
Bob I made the cones using scrap delrin I had.
Glue does still stick to it, but I am a little sloppy when I put the ca finish on a pen. It does clean off the delrin pretty good.

I score a line around the pen barrel close to the edge and slightly tap on the cones till they separate. Then I resquare the ends of the pen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS