A "boring" post about a hole in one

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
A hole in one blank, that is. I bored a 3/8" hole through a blank over 1' long. I came in from both ends and there is no perceptible lip where the holes meet! But it seems like I am using too many steps, so I thought I would post and get some feedback.

I got a hollow center with a removable dead center. I put a rounded spindle beween the spur center and the hollow center and crank it tight enough that it wears in a ring for the hollow center (the dead center doesn't stick out far) and I turn a 1" tenon at the hollow center end. Then I reverse it and chuck the tenon and make another tenon and ring indentation on the other end. I leave it chucked, and take the dead center out of the hollow center and snug it up on the hollow center. Then I passed a 1/4" bit through the hollow center and bored a lead hole in a few inches. Then I backed my talistock way back and swapped out the hollow center for a Jacobs, chucked the 3/8" bit and slowly bored the hole from that end. then I reversed it and repeated the procedure with the hollow center to start a lead hole and the Jacobs to drill the main hole, which met perfectly. So now I have a blank with a centered hole with a concentric ring indentation for the hollow center and a concentric tenon. I am happy with that, but it seemed like I went to too much trouble to get there.

CarvedTones

Andy
I did a second one.
2windblanks.JPG

I guess it isn't so bad once you get used to it. The second did not take nearly as long. It came out good also. I can feel a very slight bump where the holes meet.

Elmojo

New User
Mike
I'm confused.
What makes all this necessary over just using a long 3/8" bit chucked into your tailstock in a Jacobs?
I know there must be something, I'm just missing it.
Please enlighten!

CarvedTones

Andy
I tried that. Without the lead hole, it is easy to buckle. Also, I need the hollow center rings to have a way to center it at the tailstock for later turning. I am making woodwind blanks. I am not convinced that minor variances in the bore make any perceptable difference that can't be corrected by finger hole tuning (after you get everything reasonably correct, widening the finger holes slightly in diferent directions gets a woodwind in perfect tune), but I am convinced that some potential buyers of woodwinds find such variances completely unacceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS