6" Jointer Choices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve W

New User
Steve
I figure I've got space for a 6" jointer if I have it on a mobile base. I've heard that handwheel bed adjustment is easier and more precise.

What are your opinions on these?

I've been considering the Jet unit (can't remember model number). Anyone out there had one - what do you think of it?

THanks & I hope to hear from you!

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
I have the Powermatic 6" jointer and it is nice. The handwheel would be nice (mine doesn't have it), but I wouldn't consider that mandatory. More important to me would be a flat bed, a long fence, and powerful motor.

Also, if I could do it again I would get the 8". 6" is okay, but the extra couple inches would come in handy often for the work I like to do.

M

McRabbet

I have a Grizzly G1182HW 6" jointer that is a handwheel adjusted unit -- it has stayed in good tune since I set it up, but it is now discontinued (I paid $325 for it in 2004) and it has been replaced with the G1182ZHW that is the same 6" x 47" jointer on a better base cabinet but it is now $475. If you can afford it, I'd spend an extra $50 and get the new G0604 model, which has a 9" longer 56" bed and a 4-knife cutterhead, which translates to cleaner cuts on longer stock. It features parallelogram adjustment, which assures the two tables remain parallel. And, it has a built-in mobile base, so you won't need to spend the extra $50-70 for one!

I have been pleased with all of my Grizzly power tools.

Rob

Toddler

New User
Todd
Here's a great price on the Jet. You can get the same price in the store, I asked.

They'd have to order it for you. But add a mobile base for $50 and even with tax you're under the price of the grizzly.

Todd
JET 6" Jointer

erasmussen

New User
RAS
My Ridgid is on $20 worth of wheels and is working out just fine:lol::lol::lol:

joiner2.jpg

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
I have the Jet 6 inch and am pleased with it except I sure wish I had got an 8 incher of some type.

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
I have the Jet 6 inch and am pleased with it except I sure wish I had got an 8 incher of some type.

I am with Larry. I have the 6" Jet and have not had any problem with it and I have run a lot of wood across it. It is easy to adjust. I just wish I had the $$ to buy an 8".

John Reeves

John Reeves
Corporate Member
I have a RIGID that is great, I kep an extra set of sharp knives (Raleigh Saw $12 to sharpen) that can be purchased from Freud for $29.00. It is on the mobile base from WOODCRAFT, has a wheel for infeed adjustment, tables were co-planer (not true for my first jointers).

The knives are not indesed so replacement gets to be an are form. I would like to see an easier knife replacement method. I have been considering springing for the magnetic contraption that WOODCRAAFT sells that holds the knives in place while you set the backing screw and snug them in place.

In general the knife replacement is about a 3 beer job, but that means that I do not use the jointer after I use the beer to sooth my nerves!

9 Finger John

smallshop

New User
Matt
I just purchsed a Jet 6" from Woodcraft in Raleigh. I seems very nice so far. The only problems that I have had with it are the knives and the fence. The knives have a burr or something on them and leave a very small mark on the wood. Something easily sanded out, but would be nice not to have to. Will be working on the blade honing also. I don't think one should have to though on a new machine.
The fence has a VERY minor twist to it on the infeed side. Fortunaly it twists away from the wood at the bottom edge of the fence and the top edge of the fence is in the correct location. Also it only seems to be affecting the first few of inches of the fence. The section of the fence near the blades is true. I dont think this will affect the quality of the cut. Overall I am very happy with the rest of the tool.
I put it on an HTC mobile base and works very well.

Steve W

New User
Steve
Wow! A lot of feedback already - thanks!

Yeah, I'd consider 8" based on what I've heard before, but it is more a function of space - although it is also a quantum leap in price as well.

I know that Woodcraft has the Jet and almost went there the last time they were having a sale where I think they were throwing in the base for free or some such.

I agree with the assessment of Grizzly. I bought a used 14" bandsaw from someone in Greensboro off of eBay and had to get some parts for it (tires, throat plates, etc) and then I broke a couple of parts. I called up their customer service and they are very helpful and stock parts for all their tools, no matter how old.

The good thing right now is that I am in no rush and can take my time on this. I still have some more setting up to do out in the shop.

Toddler

New User
Todd
There's an old powermatic on ebay right now. Looks like an 8 inch but I'm not sure. Might be worth watching if you don't mind tuning it a bit. I'd write the guy for info if I were looking and in that part of NC

DIYGUY

New User
Mark
This topic came up recently and there was some lively discussion on it, much in the same vein as these posts. My experience may give you some insights and if so great.

I had a strong itch for one of these that just could not be scratched. Probably for about the same reasons you want one. I did my research and bought the Yorkcraft YJ-6 from Wilke Machinery. The price was one factor, the "Best Buy" rating from FWW was another, and the fence was yet another. The final push was the built-in mobile base. I will say that buying it was smooth and even though I had to pay freight and then assemble it, the whole process was about as painless as one could hope.

Well, almost three years later I just could not take it any longer. The tool was fine at first, but the more I used it the more I realized the error of my ways. The comments posted about more HP, longer bed, and more knives are all spot on. So I took advantage of Wilke's recent sale and moved up to their 8" bad boy. Landed on my door it came in at $700 which is a whole lot less than many other similar capacity machines out there.

I am very pleased with it so far. All that I had expected for performance and fit/finish came to pass. And what a difference using it! As for the handwheel vs. the lever to adjust the infeed table - much ado about nothing in my opinion. The old one had the lever and it was perfectly fine. The new one has a handwheel and I don't notice much in the way of convenience or ease of use difference. You say toe-may-toe I say tah-mah-toe ...

Send me a PM if you want and we can chat more offline ...

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Steve, my first jointer was an old Craftsman 6 inch I got from a friend for 50 bucks when he upgraded to an 8 inch. It was a decent machine and it made flat joints. I kept it a year and upgraded to a Yorkcraft YC-8J. Talk about a night and day difference...wow!!

If you think you only need 6, try to find a used one at a good price point so that WHEN you upgrade (yes, you will) you won't lose too much money. Bed length is key.

My vote is go 8 inch. There ain't a whole lotta floor space difference compared with the benefit. One day I'll upgrade my 8 inch. I can't tell you how many sticks I've ripped to 7 7/8 inches to face joint. :)

Chuck

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Steve, my first jointer was an old Craftsman 6 inch I got from a friend for 50 bucks when he upgraded to an 8 inch. It was a decent machine and it made flat joints. I kept it a year and upgraded to a Yorkcraft YC-8J. Talk about a night and day difference...wow!!

If you think you only need 6, try to find a used one at a good price point so that WHEN you upgrade (yes, you will) you won't lose too much money. Bed length is key.

My vote is go 8 inch. There ain't a whole lotta floor space difference compared with the benefit. One day I'll upgrade my 8 inch. I can't tell you how many sticks I've ripped to 7 7/8 inches to face joint. :)

Chuck
:eusa_dancWith a rabbeting ledge, you can face joint board up 1 1/2 the width of your jointer. Using rabbeting ledge, face joint full width of jointer. Take piece and put it on a sled of 1/4" ply. Sled should be where the WIDE rabbet is. Run it through planer. Turn over, remove sled, and run original face through planer. PS Woodsaw over in Greensboro has a 6"Delta for sale in the classifiieds here.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
My only comments are towards handwheels versus lever. I have had both. My 6" had the wheels and my current 8" has the lever. The wheels are more precise IMO, but you can do about as good with the lever so it isn't that big of a difference. To me, it should not be a deciding factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS