2 weeks with Brian Boggs Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shamrock

New User
Michael
Well I'm back from KY and I've got to say I'm just blown away by the past 2 weeks. I'll start by saying that Kelly Mehler's School in Berea, KY is top notch all the way! He treats his students better than any other school I've been to (Woodguy1975's is a close 2nd though :wink_smil) What an experience. Here's a pic of the school/workshop the 1st morning of class

The class I took was a 2 week course called Greenwood Chairmaking taught by Brian Boggs. In this class the goal was for each student to build 1 of Brian's side chairs. http://www.brianboggschairs.com/side3.htm

I'll start by explaining that over 2 weeks not only did we easily build this chair but we also had numerous discussions on hand tools, their design and sharpening, running a woodworking business, cutting and drying lumber, workshop efficiency, and chair design principles and techniques. Brian's goal for the class was to equip each student with a chairmaking manual they could use to develop their own designs in the future. What I got was much more than just that, I learned a whole new perspective on woodworking. Needless to say, I would highly recommend Brian's classes to anyone interested.

So on to the class:

The 1st day we selected our lumber from the rough material Brian brought for class (red maple for the legs with some hickory thrown in for the rungs). The 1st task was to make bending forms for the rear legs.

The bending form is necessary because in this chair the rear legs are steam bent to form. This process was one I had always been interested in but also always quite afraid of (black magic?). However, the process is pretty straightfoward and actually quite fun. What was most surprising was how rudimentary the steamer design was. I found myself saying multiple times: "Heck, I could easily do this at home." Here's the pic of our class steamer:

After the legs sat in the steamer for 2 hours we took them out and put them into compression with this strap available from Veritas and then "pre-bent" them in this form for a few minutes.

In the next pic you can see the wrinkling of the wood at the bend. This actually goes away as the wood sets to the curve when we leave it in our bending jigs made above

The next day we cut out and steam bent the backslats:

We then made octagons of the front legs to get them ready for handshaping with a drawknife and spokeshaves.

After that Brian spent some time demonstrating the use of the drawknife and spokeshaves to shape both the front and rear legs:

While the rear legs were still square we hand chopped the mortises for the backsplats and then used this handy jig to measure and make our backsplats

and here's what the rear ladder section looks like after shaping and fitting the backslats:

We all then spent some more time on the shavehorses shaping our rear legs round and refining our front legs and backsplats:

and here's all the main components shaped and ready for the next stage

In Part 2 I'll detail actually putting the chair together and weaving the seat. Hope ya'll enjoyed Part 1.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Time well spent! You are very fortunate to be able to take a class from a master craftsman like Brian. Seeing the photos and reading your narrative makes me want to take the course.

Kdub

New User
Kurt
Looks like a good time. just wondering if you wove the seat as well? thanks for the insight on the class.
kurt

Shamrock

New User
Michael
Kurt-we did weave the seat, out of hickory bark-my cuticles are still screaming at me. I'll have some final pics in part 2

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Sounds like a very enjoyable and worthwhile two weeks :thumbs_up
So now you know how sharp is sharp! (sharper than Jeremy's Marples??? :slap:)

The non-building info sound good too. "running a woodworking business, workshop efficiency".

You said "I learned a whole new perspective on woodworking. "
Care to expand on this?

pete

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Way to go Mike! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap Steam bending is something I've always been curious about but haven't tried to do. That sounds like an AWESOME class. Thanks so much for sharing. Maybe you can teach me some of this chair making stuff one day. :rolleyes:

Trent

Shamrock

New User
Michael
Pete,
The new perspective thing has alot to do with the idea that to build something well you should truly understand all that goes into it. The tools you use, how sharp is sharp, the way the wood is going to act, how the human form dictates design. I sort of learned that it's easy to build something beautiful but it's very complicated to build something beautiful AND functional. This seems to take time, persistence, and a little luck. In todays age of tools that make things easier and quicker I think it's easy to lose the idea of why something, a joint for instance, is cut a certain way. Alot of folks are trying to bring this knowledge back into vogue, and Brian is doing his part to encourage his students to think about the "why" in the woodworking equation. Just my .02

nelsone

New User
Ed
Sounds like a great experience! So, now that you have all of this knowledge...When does the Shamrock School of Woodworking open???:eusa_thin

T

toolferone

Very cool.

I guess I will forgive you for not being home last week :gar-Bi.

LeeNC

New User
Lee
Great write-up. Thanks for sharing. I got to spend some time with Brian at the Charlotte WW show and thought his classes would be excellent. Now I have the confirmation that they are. Time to start saving my pennies…..

LeeNC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS