2 flip-top carts

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
finished up building 2 carts this weekend. 1 for planer & spindle sander, the other for my grinder & disk/belt sander. Added some stand-offs for the OneWay pieces.

20200927_092720.jpg

20200927_111608.jpg
20200927_111603.jpg

Now i can easily roll things around while reworking tool locations.

Herdfan2005

New User
Jason
Nice, I just watched another maker build these. I'm getting to the point where I might need one, which is a good and bad. Good because I have more tools, bad because I'm running out of room.

bowman

Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
I’m going to borrow the idea for your wolverine jig holder for the long piece. Looks good.
It's just held in place with pocket hole screws, did not want to leave it in a corner somewhere or go tripping over it.

Tim Sherwood

Tim
Corporate Member
Nice carts Neal. I'll bet that those tools will get more use now that they are easily accessed. I totally agree that shop carts or cabinets don't have to be fancy furniture, just strong and useful.

bowman

Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
After I took the photos, I noticed the grinder was backwards. That has been corrected...

SabertoothBunny

SabertoothBunny
Corporate Member
Nice, I am one similar to these to hold my Rigdid oscilalting sander and 13" DeWalt planer. These carts are quite versatile and save a lot of space.

Craigb86

New User
Cbass
Any more pictures of the pivot mechanism with the iron pipe flange and the locking mechanism to prevent rotation? Been planing to make some of these myself and this looks more robust than what I have seen from others.

bowman

Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
there is a Tee in the middle where the power cord runs out of the cart. I secured that Tee to another block underneath then drilled out a hole to secure the Tee to the block with a screw.

I drilled 2 holes, the first just large enough for a Kreg screw to go through, then a larger hole to allow the entire screwhead to go all the way in. The screwhead is seated low enough that the cord is not blocked when you run it through.

Fisher's Shop Cart Build shows using a strap around the Tee to the block. I purchased his plans for the carts. The YouTube video walks through the build, plus i can relate to the outtakes...

Last edited:

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Very handy carts! Real space savers. Here is a link to the one I built about 3 years ago......

Quite a few spins on different versions ( pun intended)

Wayne

bowman

Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
Here are a couple of photos showing how to secure the Tee. As stated above, I did not use the strap, but drilled 2 different sized holes to allow a screw to go through the top of the Tee and holds the bottom of the Tee.

Screen Shot 2020-09-28 at 11.57.26 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-09-28 at 11.58.44 AM.png

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
Stopped by Saturday to pick up my raffle prizes, and got to see these in progress. I've made the same cart with the plans from Fisher's Shop and I can't say enough good things about it. I think the best part of this design is the integrated power and not having to mess with the power cords of each machine. It's rock solid too. Mine has a delta planer and the Ridgid spindle/belt sander mounted on it. I am able to flip it one-handed.

Great to meet you, Neal, and talk a little shop (even tho the kiddo was being restless).

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
Great meeting you & the kiddo also. Hope the following hike was good.

It was! Kiddo was enthusiastic when we started. That wore off at about mile 1. :D 3.5 miles and almost 1300ft elevation gain to the top. Spent a little more time walking around enjoying the views. It's apparently International Hawk Migration Week, and there was a birder stationed at the Little Pinnacle overlook keeping a count. We took the shuttle back down to the lower parking lot and grabbed some goodies from the visitor center before heading home.

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
I would really like a set of plans for this cart. There are way too many versions out there on the internet. Can someone post a link or source for plans for this cart?

bowman

Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
For $5, the cut sheet itself it worth the price for the plans. He also includes a list of other materials used in the build, obtained separately. I picked up the black pipe, power strip, plug end from HD. For the casters and drawer slides, I found these self-closing slides and 3"casters with brakes.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Neal, your flip carts are a better design than mine, well done! When space is limited, these contraptions really are invaluable additions to the shop.

bowman

Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks Donn. Not my design, but i really like how these went together.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS