18 drawers- 18 days

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shamrock

New User
Michael
Hey Folks-
Before going out and buying the Leigh dovetail jig I thought I'd cut a few by hand to see what I'd be missing-The drawers are for the base cabinets of my new miter saw station: Photo 1: the cabinets :2 the poplar ready to go :3 the tools :4 the 1st drawer -really gappy :5 the 1st 4 drawers!

More to follow - Thanks for looking

:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead: clamps-clamps-why do I never have enough clamps

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Hey Folks-
Before going out and buying the Leigh dovetail jig I thought I'd cut a few by hand to see what I'd be missing-The drawers are for the base cabinets of my new miter saw station: Photo 1: the cabinets :2 the poplar ready to go :3 the tools :4 the 1st drawer -really gappy :5 the 1st 4 drawers!

More to follow - Thanks for looking

:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead: clamps-clamps-why do I never have enough clamps

Really Gappy, Well that stinks!!! Let me know how it all turns out! I have a Porter cable dovetail jig I have never used and plan to use it on the Cedar Chest, Maybe.....Cedar is britle.

Have fun,

Matthew
Custom Home Audio
M&R AUdio

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Looks good enough for shop work. Use gorilla glue to fill the gaps and they'll be great.

Try to make the gaps smaller on each one.

By the time you cut 18 drawers you won't need a jig. :icon_thum

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Looks pretty darn good to me. By the time you get to #18, you'll either be a master at cutting them by hand, or you'll think the Leigh dovetail jig is the best tool money can buy! Either way, happy!

Those gaps don't look all that bad to me btw. Nothing you can't fill with a little glue and sawdust.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Looks like a double gloat to me!
Functional drawers and acquisition of a new skill :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Ya done good :glasses9:

Roger

sediener

New User
Steve
You've got a good start. But it looks like your tails are on the front and back... drawers are less likely to pull apart if the tails are on the sides.

- Steve

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Good catch Steve!

I was only looking at the one on top of the pile, which is oriented correctly.

Shamrock

New User
Michael
Good catch guys-after cutting the 1st 3 drawers wrong with regards to orientation of the pin and tails I realized my mistake and started to build them the right way (the 4th). The 3rd and 4th drawers are definatly getting tighter, I'm now starting to experiment with different spacing as I cut them! Thanks all for the postive comments, so far the process has been pretty fun, more to follow.........

Mike

:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:clamps-clamps-why do I never have enough clamps

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Woa, woa, woa.... Is that a Saw stop I see hiding or is that just a cool sticker that says Saw Stop!?!?!? And what about this Brick wall and the Hard wood floors.... This place looks to clean to be a wood shop!!!!
drawers_0011.jpg

Anyway if it is, then you Majorly Suck! In a good way of course.

Have fun, or try something else.

Matthew & Rachel
Custome Home Audio
M&R Audio

Shamrock

New User
Michael
Matthew,
Yes my shop is my temple. When I was building last year (I did most of the work) the hardwood laminate was cheaper (.99/ft) than anything else, and so it's on the floor. The brick wall is the exterior of our house, as the workshop is an addition. And yes that is a Sawstop, I must say I've grown rather attached to my digits, and I was lucky enough to be able to purchase one as my 1st and hopefully last table saw. Have a great weekend, I'm going to go walk out the back door, have a cup of coffee, and then cut some more dovetails.

Mike

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
All I have to say is, Great Job. I know you must have worked hard for it! I know I work hard for my toys..

Enjoy your coffee and have fun with the Dovetails,

Matthew

Joe Lyddon

New User
Joe Lyddon
Wow...

You practiced on fairly large project...

When I did my pratice run, I made some small drawers for screws, etc. that I use most of the time... 10 of them... using 3/8" scrap plywood.

Ironically, mine were laid-out just like yours... just thinner & cheaper stock.

My first one was Gappy just like yours... they got better and faster as I got closer to the end.

BTW, my plywood was pretty good stuff with not many voids in it... it wasn't that hard to work with. If I had tried a jig and Router approach, they all would have been J U N K... and would NOT have worked at all.

Being Hand Made, made all the difference!

When done w/ them, I used some molding scrap & made a simple enclosure for them. :wink_smil

GOOD JOB!!

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Your shop cabinets look as good as a lot of the furniture I make. I find the more dovetails you cut consecutively, the better I do. Then the next time I come to the shop I start out gappy again..... :-(

Are you going to use any slides on your drawers?

Shamrock

New User
Michael
Travis-
I was originally going to use hardwood slides with dado's in the drawers but then I remembered I wanted to get this project done sometime this year so I found a great deal on some Blum 230M epoxy coated slides (a box of 25 for $67) so I'm going with those. Only 13 more drawers to make now........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS