18 drawers-18 days(done!-update w/pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shamrock

New User
Michael
Hello fellow NCWW's-
I know-it's actually day #28 (I missed my deadline by 10 days):gar-La; These dovetail things take longer than I thought. So here's the tally : 232 tails and 304 pins. What did I learn along the way:
--sharp chisles are SHARP! they cut your fingertips better then wood
--a bandsaw cuts tails about the same rate as a good handsawer
--try to split the layout line-for a beginner this is hard-I was too cautious and hence had to pare alot with the chisels-(see chisles are sharp)
--after about the 100th or so dovetail cut, you cut on the line-sometimes this works sometimes you end up with gappy dovetails-depends on how tired you are-an adult beverage may help or hinder your efforts
--don't have an adult beverage and handle SHARP chisles
--currently it takes me ~4.5hours to cut a drawer start to finish!
--Handcut dovetails have there place-but I'm ready for that Leigh dovetail jig now!!!!!:eusa_danc
Here's the pics: #1 all the drawers #'s 2&3 some fancy dovetails I tried
[/url
Thanks for looking- Enjoy!! -Mike

:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:clamps-clamps-why do I never have enough clamps!

DavidF

New User
David
Phew! great work. Having just made 4 drawers in a row I now feel inadequate!!! Sure would like to see pictures of the first set and the last set, I guess they are "like chalk and cheese" as we would say...

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Nice job on those drawers, Michael:icon_thum

I must say you have much more patience and determination than I do!!!:notworthy:

Can't wait to see the finished product.

Shamrock

New User
Michael
Dave-

Here's #1 -gappy-gappy-gappy

and here's #18

I had lots of fun with the last couple varying the spacing and such- if I handcut in the future it's only going to be for these special spacing one's. It's like creating a puzzle and then when you fit them it's like opening a present (if they fit that is!)

:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:clamps-clamps-why do I never have enough clamps

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I admire your perseverance Michael. 28 drawers...wow! Good looking drawers. But, the variable spacing stuff, that's just flaunting it :) So, were your fingers itching for a nail gun around drawer 19 or so?

toolman

New User
Chad
Great Looking Doveltails. :icon_thum I make pullouts but I do the rabbit, :embaresse It takes to long for the price I get to do dovetails. But I did the dovetails for my own pullouts. :gar-La;

:eek:ccasion1

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
By Jove, I do believe you have gotten the hang of it!! Thats a bunch and they also look nice and tight. When are you gonna start giving lessons?. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Go

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Looks like as your project progressed you just got better and better at the dovetails. The last picture is quite tight fitting. They say practice makes perfect.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Now that's the way to practice handcut DTs, and by the look of the last one you got quite good. Move over Frank Klausz:cool::icon_thum

Dave:)

JimD

Jim
Senior User
They look nice. I do not have enough patience for hand cut dovetails. I do half blind with a router jig. Maybe some day I will try hand cut or get a Leigh or PC through dovetail jig.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS