15th Annual Klingspor's Woodworking Shop Extravaganza - October 16th & 17th - Hickory, NC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I will be there today - if I can talk to Mike - I will see if I can fill in for the Plane demo he was scheduled to do.

Of course if "The Master" shows up - I simply play [strike]Vanna White[/strike] assistant! :eek:

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Folks we had a great weekend at the show. I want to thank all the folks who donated there time....Ken...Berta...Chuck...Charles lent...Bruce... Raymond....vtxmike.....Barry.... Hank....Danny and Jeremy. WE ended up 60 sabers thanks to the great folks attending the show yesterday. We had many folks turning for the first time and a few went off looking to buy a lathe. Charles stayed busy cutting reindeer for folks and also handling questions on the Urn project. Berta mad dozens of trinkets passing them out to the youngsters. Mike showed folks his pyrography which interested a lot of folks. Ken answered a lot of questions for people and showed some how to sharpen. We ended up with 60 light sabers which ended up adding 360$ to the fund drive thanks to member donations. ALso want to thank Coleman and his staff for having us and for there great hospitality. image1.jpgimage4.jpgimage5.jpgimage7.jpgimage6.jpgimage 8.jpg

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
It was nice to get to see some of you guys for my brief visit to the show yesterday. Booth seemed to be doing a good trade all seemed to be happy

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I wanted to post one of the pictures I took at the KE from Friday
This guy was hanging around and I said "Do you want to try some turning?"
He kind of hemmed and hawed and I said - "come on..."
Now he started playing with the EWT tools, and was kind of natural when he got the hang of it.

Then he took the detail tool and started an undercut...
He said "Now wouldn't it be cool if I could cut this from the other side and..."

I said if you cut it deep and create a ring, that is called a captured ring.
In addition to the difficulty of creating a captured ring, he kept the "square" to the original blank (which you can't make out very well in the poor picture I took...)

Anyway fast forward a little while while he was turning and he says, boy I'd really like to get one of these (A lathe) it is fun! (He came with a couple, I am guessing not his parents, because the woman said, well he (pointing to the man with them) has two lathes in the basement... The young man says "REALLY!"

I encouraged them to become NCWW members, so hopefully they will, and hopefully we have a turning convert... or at least we planted the seed...with another young person!

The purpose of my story is this - it is rewarding for the people who get a chance to work with some wood, but for "you" the person demonstrating or helping them learn about our craft - the feeling is "PRICELESS!"
If you haven't been part of an outreach event or have not been able to make it to a Klingspore Extravaganza - this is the kind of stuff that makes it all worth it!
new_turner.jpg

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
Introducing people to woodworking is what the Outreach Program is about. Everyone should be allowed to try. That's why I attend as many of these as I can.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
We make a lot of people smile - a few even jump up and down they get so happy. It is an amazing thing to watch and participate in.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
We make a lot of people smile - a few even jump up and down they get so happy. It is an amazing thing to watch and participate in.
Yea, and the visiting crowd gets into it when we get excited too!:rotflm:

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
It was nice to get to see some of you guys for my brief visit to the show yesterday. Booth seemed to be doing a good trade all seemed to be happy

So many folks have asked either Charley or me, for the reindeer pattern, both of us should be able to retire, and the club will never skip a beat. Charlie has always gone to great lengths to put on a great demonstration. If you have noticed, he brings a well equipped workshop, and is always showing and explaining what he's doing. He does this in spite of serious health issues that would keep many from functioning. I want to give a shout out to a very good friend, and say thank you Charley, for all you have done for NCWW, and thank you for being my very goo d friend. God bless brother!

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Second!
Thank you, and God bless you Charley!

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
He did a Fantastic job...was there all day.....always had folks there....he also helped explain the Urn Project

woodturner2014

New User
Harry
Michael, just wanted to say thanks for the great demo. I did make the purchase and looking forward to adding pyrography to my wood turnings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors