101 on woodscrews

Status
Not open for further replies.

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
Please give me an explaination of differences in screws compared to wood screws as they relate to wood applications in furniture. I see wood screws that are thin as well as thick. I see regular screws that have a spiral to the head and wood screws that stop short and have maybe an inch with no spiral. Lorraine

DavidF

New User
David
Please give me an explaination of differences in screws compared to wood screws as they relate to wood applications in furniture. I see wood screws that are thin as well as thick. I see regular screws that have a spiral to the head and wood screws that stop short and have maybe an inch with no spiral. Lorraine

Hi Lorraine, there are more screws for more applications than you can imagine and there is a lot of crossover between their uses. McFeely have some great information in their catalogue if you have it and no doubt on the web site as well. If you can't find what you need there I am sure we can help your understanding better.

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
Lorraine, I know I'll get a lot of flack from this but I use dry wall screws for most applications. They are not quite as strong as others and I've twisted off one or two over the years. They are cheap, easy to get and come in a lot of sizes. I always keep several sizes on hand. I do use stainless or galvanized for outside work and pan heads for pocket holes.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Larry,

You won't get any flack from me , I too use drywall screws most of the time. The exceptions are for fine work or structural where there is a chance of shearing.

Jimmy:)

hannah01

New User
Joe
Others have posted great resource links, but to answer one of your specific questions: The wood screws where the threads end short and there is a smooth shank up to the head allow the screw to pull two pieces of wood together when it is tightened down. Other than that, the links posted will give you more info than you will probably need. :lol:

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I use drywall screws a lot as well, but over the years have decreased as I have broken a lot of them. I am going to try lubricating them to see if that helps as suggested in another thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors