1" curved counter sink??? For Golf Balls

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Hello,

I am in the process of making a Golf Ball Display for my Neighbor and have the wood cut out, but I don't have a 1" drill bit to make the recessed hole for the Golf balls. I have a 3/8" curved router bit, and a 1/2" drill bit, but I tested the 1/2" and it is too small. Too much movement.

Is there another way? $30 for a 1" bit at Lowes and $30 for a case of Silver and Deming bit's with a 1" bit at Harbor Freight??? Not sure what Silver and Deming is?

Thanks for your input.

Matthew

jerrye

New User
Jerry
You could also drill a 5/8" or 3/4" hole and run a smaller cove bit around the top edge.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
i bought a freud full rnd nose router bit, chucked it in my drill press, set depth wallah big golf ball dimples :}:}

ehpoole

Ethan
If you do not mind flat-bottomed holes, you can use a pattern router bit to follow a suitably sized hole you've created in a template (such as MDF), or you can use a common straight-flute (or upcut spiral) bit with a template bushing and a slightly oversized template to accommodate the difference in diameter between the bushing (which is always larger than the bit) and the router bit. Assuming, of course, that you have any of these on hand.

Otherwise, I suppose you could break out the handy chisel and go to town... :rolf:

I would also think that you could find a suitable (individual) Forstner bit for this job for well under $30... or you could buy a complete set of Forstner bits (up to about 2" in 1/8" increments) for about double that... and they are very handy to have on hand. A spade bit could work too, but they don't create as flat-bottomed a hole as the Forstner (though they are much cheaper).

Skymaster

New User
Jack
follow up on my previous post; Freud 18-130 1 1/4" Dia rnd nose perfect golf ball dimple. LOL I made a couple of racks so I know this works :}:}

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
I bought a cheap set of Fostner bits many years ago and use them all the time. Very hand for for WWing.
http://www.harborfreight.com/16-piece-titanium-nitride-coated-forstner-bit-set-39812.html

Thanks, I have the Rockler 22 piece forstner bit set and paid $29 or less. I haven't seen that price on their $100+ dollar bits ever since. THIS ONE

The shelves are only 3/8" thick so a forstner bit would not work. The guy I am making it for found a 1" drill bit for me to use.

Thanks for all the replies, some day I'll get the 1-1/4" router bit.

Last edited:

joec

joe
User
I built one for my golf pro buddy, and we ended up putting the top part of a tee in each ball location. Put a dab of clear caulk on top of each tee and then the golf ball. It came out well and displays more of the ball, however takes up more room that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS