dc

1. Dust Level Window.

Dust Level Window.

The Dust Level Window is made from 1/4'' Polycarbonate. Dimensions are 1-1/2''x 11''. The back of the plastic is cut like a miniature raised-panel door; the panel extends about 1/16'' through the 1/2'' slot in the trashcan. The back side of the window is painted Black. The window is secured...
  2. The Plumbing

The Plumbing

The plumbing follows the design illustrated in the Woodcraft article ''Adding A Pre-Separator To Your Dust Collection System'' derived from the book Controlling Dust In The Workshop. The exception is that I used 4 inch PVC pipe. The center pipe extends 10 inches. The upper pipe joints are...
  3. The Sawdust

The Sawdust

This is a close-up of the sawdust collected. Note the back side of the Polycarbonate plastic sawdust level window.
  4. Close-up of Collection Bag

Close-up of Collection Bag

An old 2x4 was jointed and planed for the test. Look, no visible sawdust in the lower bag.
  5. Dust Collector

Dust Collector

A brand new Delta 50-760 1-1/2 HP Dust Collector was used to test the pre-separator.
  6. The Big Test

The Big Test

Does it really work?
  7. Adding a Chamfer

Adding a Chamfer

1/8'', 45 degree chamfer cut in the top edge of PVC holes provides a recess for Silicone sealant. I used GE Silicone II Clear Household Glue.
  8. Cutting Outlet Hole

Cutting Outlet Hole

Templates for cutting the 4-3/16''D PVC holes. The templates were cut with a fly cutter in the drill press. It only took to tries to get a nice snug fit.
  9. Filled Edge

Filled Edge

The edge of the lid has been filled for painting. I was premature with this step as I later decided to round over the top and bottom of the edge - top with 1/2'' bit and bottom with 1/4'' bit. When applying the filler, wet your finger to smooth out the filler; works good!
  10. Elmer's Wood Filler

Elmer's Wood Filler

Elmer's Wood Filler was used to fill the particle board edges.
  11. Lid Slot Roundover

Lid Slot Roundover

As an afterthought, the lid slot was rounded over to make it easier to install the lid. The round over bit was an old 3/8'' HSS bit with the guide pin ground off; there's no room for a guide pin or bearing in the narrow slot - the circled cutting template was used to guides the bit.
  12. Close-up of Poly Foam

Close-up of Poly Foam

Installing the Poly Foam.
  13. Poly Foam Caulk Saver

Poly Foam Caulk Saver

Frost King Poly Foam Caulk Saver is used to seal the lid. The foam is 3/8'' diameter. I got it at the local hardware store for $3.29.
  14. Lid with Slot

Lid with Slot

The slot is 5/16''W and 3/4''D.
  15. Cutting the Lid Slot

Cutting the Lid Slot

The center of the 5/16'' slot is positioned 10-3/16'' from the center of the trashcan. The dept of the slot is 3/4''. It was not easy to obtain this measurement; the can was slightly out of round! The perfectly round grove in the lid pulls the top into shape, and makes a nice snug fit.
  16. Top Outer Rim

Top Outer Rim

5/8'' particle board top with 3/4''x2-5/16'' outer rim. Note the three temporary alignment nails used in the glue-up process.
  17. Outer Rim

Outer Rim

This is the first picture of the work-in-process. The 3/4'' x 2-5/16'' outer rim is glued and clamped to the 5/8''D top. (I actually used two pieces of 3/8'' stock to obtain the 3/4'' rim piece)
  18. DCG Cyclone Muffler

DCG Cyclone Muffler

A little closer up on the cyclone muffler. 12" x 48". Really quiet.
  19. New Jointer and DC

New Jointer and DC

This is another new photo showing some changes in the shop. A new jointer and old cabinets replaced the HF jointer and "the shelves" from the old pics. I also added the venerable HF DC with Griz replacement bags.
  20. BG-Ten Remote Blast Gate Control

BG-Ten Remote Blast Gate Control

Simple hand control with pulley has three wraps of nylon cord -- clockwise opens Tables Saw gate; counter clockwise opens sander and planer duct.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS