Search results

1. W Burton

An Escape Hatch

While on a recent trip, I something like this hanging on the wall in a gift shop. Figured there might be a time I would need an escape hatch myself, so here's my version:
  2. W Burton

Completed Patio Rocker

Now that I am retired it must be time to sit back and rock on the patio. So, I came up with this rocker. I had seen another rocker that had the seat suspended like this, but it was a bit flimsy, so my design strengthened some of the elements. Made of cypress with stainless hardware. Gonna finish...
  3. W Burton

Lie Nielsen 1/2" infill rabbet plane kit

I just acquired a Lie Nielsen 1/2" Rabbet Plane, made from a kit. Apparently, L-N put this kit out about 30 years ago - the instruction sheet is copyright 1987. I got it at auction, thinking it was an unassembled kit, but someone had already put it together. The interesting thing is how little...
  4. W Burton

Help with Identifying Old Sharpening Stones

I was going through some old stuff and ran across these sharpening stones that belonged to my father. They are probably from the 1950's. The light colored stone is slick as glass - it has to be a really fine grit. The darker one was black until I flattened it and removed a very deep hollow - it...
  5. W Burton

Sharpening Station

I have had an area for sharpening in my shop for awhile, but it was not ideal. When I built a new workbench in 2014, I intended to get rid of the old bench I had been using, but half of it became a place to sharpen, and the other half collected junk. I still need to get rid of that bench for...
  6. W Burton

Article: China turns to Western North Carolina to satisfy lumber needs

http://avlne.ws/2nQvCMy Interesting article in the Asheville newspaper on what is happening with some of the old mills in western NC and where the timber is going these days . . . $5.7 million in wood was shipped to China in 2000. For each of the last 5 years, it has averaged $165 million...
  7. W Burton

Help with a Beginners set of Carving Tools

I am signed up for a class next October on adding detail work to wood projects. Day one is decorative joinery, next day is veneering, and days three and four are carving and shaping. That's where I need some help. This will be my first experience at learning about carving. The tool list says to...
  8. W Burton

An Example of Great Customer Service -- Lee Valley

Recently when Lee Valley was offering free shipping, I placed an order. (Okay, I got the Veritas left-handed skew rabbet plane <gloat>) They are usually really fast to ship when an item is in stock, but this order took 10 days to arrive. Not terrible, but obviously below their standards, because...
  9. W Burton

Lie Nielsen Tour

While in Maine taking a class at the Center for Furniture Craftsmanship, our instructors arranged for the class to tour the Lie Nielsen manufacturing facility, which is just down the road from the school. It was a highlight of the trip to see how a chunk of metal becomes a Lie Nielsen hand...
  10. W Burton

Unlocking the Box - Center for Furniture Craftsmanship

I am just back from Maine where I took a 2 week course titled Unlocking the Box, at the Center for Furniture Craftsmanship. This was a course in constructing Japanese puzzle boxes, which typically require several moves to open. We also looked into methods of creating secret storage spaces...
  11. W Burton

Slightly Used Sandpaper

It seems like every time I turn around there are 3 or 4 pieces of sandpaper of various sizes and grits laying on my workbench. They are usually folded up into some odd shape and too good to toss out. I have been throwing them over into a little container, then going back and digging through them...
  12. W Burton

Center for Furniture Craftsmanship: Anyone taken a class there?

Hi everyone, I haven't been around here much lately, but I have some new cabinets in our kitchen to prove that I have been busy. This coming September, I have signed up for a 2 week course at the Center for Furniture Craftsmanship in Maine. Has anyone taken a course there? Every thing I have...
  13. W Burton

My First Woodworking Show opens December 6, 2-4 pm

Liquidambar Gallery and Gifts in Pittsboro is showing some of my work during December and January. The show opens tomorrow, Dec. 6, with Larry Davis providing live music from 2-4 pm. If you happen to be in the area, stop by and say hi. Also tomorrow, Pittsboro has its monthly "First Sunday"...
  14. W Burton

The Face of Dog

Just back from a quick trip to the UK where I stayed in a B&B in Newcastle. I often read of people seeing the face of Jesus in their pancakes, or the Virgin Mary's image in a concrete bridge support, etc. I always thought that was a little strange until I looked down at a table top in the B&B...
  15. W Burton

Unique Piece of Wood

While rummaging through the boxes of wood at Klingspor in Raleigh a few weeks ago, I came across a piece of walnut with a neat grain pattern. The piece was about 7/8" x 8" x 7" -- not very big. I had no idea what I might make with it, but I figured something would come out of it. I started out...
  16. W Burton

Hard Maple End Grain Turning Gray

I am making a few end grain cutting boards, and using hard maple, padouk, and red oak for my stock. The maple end grain has just the slightest gray tone to it when cut and sanded - only noticeable if you are looking for it. But with mineral oil on it, the gray becomes very visible and is really...
  17. W Burton

Small Table Joinery -- Your Opinion?

I have just completed a small table, about 14.5" x 23" x 28" tall. I am hoping to get some opinions on the way I built the top -- does it make sense and is there a better way? First, here are a couple photos: I joined 3 pieces tongue and groove and glued them up to make the center section...
  18. W Burton

Is There a Hand Tool Mecca in London?

After working too many hours outside in the ridiculous heat this summer, I am treating myself to a trip to the United Kingdom this Fall. I am mainly going to attend a couple of the Rugby World Cup matches, but will have a couple days in London. This is my first time ever crossing the Atlantic...
  19. W Burton

DeWalt 735 Planer - Question

I have had my DeWalt 735 Planer for about 12 years now, and have had nothing but great results with it. I consider it one of the better made power tools I own. Recently, though, when I changed out the blades there were a lot of wood chips inside, all around the motor and the blower housing. I...
  20. W Burton

Getting Played (my mandolin, that is)

I have built a couple of mandolins now, but have had no idea about how they play or sound. I don't play. In fact, I am left handed, and can't even hold a right-handed mandolin correctly. (Building a mandolin started as a dare from my brother, but that's another story.) Here's my second...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors