Search results

1. smallboat

Cherry bowl

I’ve been off of the lathe for a bit and needed to get back in the swing. Pretty pleased with this little bowl. not quite finished with the finish and have to remove the tenon.
  2. smallboat

Wood for swing set

It’s time to build a swing set for the grand kids. I’m looking to the collective wisdom of NCWW to help me with material choice. The one I built a generation ago is still going strong at my place, it was all built from PT SYP in ‘91. I’m not current on how treated lumber today may differ...
  3. smallboat

Just for Hank

Cleaning out the old home place there’s a dresser destined for the dump. It’s painted over but the drawer backs and sides appeal to the scrounger in me. Drawer fronts appear different with veneer fronts. I’m considering rescuing the drawers to repurpose the sides and backs What might this...
  4. smallboat

how would you?

A couple of the doors at my dad’s house are stuck. These are patio doors where both sides open, but we’ve only ever use one side. The other side is secured with latches top and bottom that extend down into the sill and up into the top of the frame. These latches are stuck. FWIW worth and IIRC...
  5. smallboat

cherry question

In my parents’ house are some furniture pieces they had custom built in cherry. Over the past 35 years the sun has bleached the surfaces that got daily exposure. Is there a way to bring the color back? I’m thinking about the way ammonia brings up walnut and don’t know if there is a similar...
  6. smallboat

not that scrap. the OTHER scrap

or- We use no wood before its time The discussion of board storage made me think of this project from a few weeks ago. It started with replacing some boards in my deck. I figured I could salvage some usable wood from the old ones, which combined with the cut offs from the new one would yield a...
  7. smallboat

dust collection question

This question is really motor/bearing related. Is there any reason I cant invert the motor and impeller assembly in this set up? I’ve been pondering this for a while and am at the point of do it or quit thinking about it. The goal is to get rid of the 180 deg length of tubing and have it pulling...
  8. smallboat

Tee fittings - not just for plumbing anymore

@pop-pop posted a T-fitting used to house the tommy bar on his portable vise. Reminded me of this mallet I made about 10 years back. The trick was using the fitting’s threads as a die to thread the handle and insert. Used a triangular file to create cutting edges and twisted the wood parts in to...
  9. smallboat

Stupid simple plane stop

in my continuing quest to spend time “improving” on designs of questionable merit, and waiting for paint t dry. I devoted an hour this afternoon to giving my ”workbench” a planing stop. I had been looking at a variety of solutions but always balked at cutting a mortice through my bench top...
  10. smallboat

Free to good home

a recent rearrangement of the shop uncovered some artifacts that need to find a useful purpose. first up- stamped metal wings from Craftsman table saw. Also have the support rods and misc. hardware. Can meet up around Winston Salem or occasionally between here and North Raleigh. prefer not to...
  11. smallboat

I’m sure there’s a right way to do this

On a Stanley #12 scraper plane would you turn the burr to the bevel side of the iron or the flat side. Maybe it doesn’t matter as you can adjust the “angle of attack” using the screw adjuster on the plane. If I think of this as a bevel down plane, I would have the flat side facing the...
  12. smallboat

Does anyone have a spare…?

My son recently gave me a #6 and a #7 which prompted me to go through my other planes and get everything tuned up and sharp. In the process I discovered I’m missing a chip breaker screw. Not sure if that’s the proper name for it but its the short, wide screw that mounts the chip breaker to the...
  13. smallboat

yet another Bailey ID ?

I was given a #6 and a #7 that I will be using once I clean and tune them up. My question is really a matter of curiosity as looking at the previously linked descriptions and a Type Study link I’ve had for a while I can’t pin these down. They are clearly 1930’s or later and one appears to be...
  14. smallboat

Christmas would be different without NCWW

In so many ways. Looking back on this season I realized I had made two bread boards using Cherry cut offs from another project- cherry from Glen at GPS Hardwoods Started thicknessing with a scrub plane I got from Mike Davis Smoothed with a #4 I first tuned up and learned to use at a sharpening...
  15. smallboat

Thank you Sawman 101

Saturday I met up with Bruce and helped deplete his supply of pen blanks. I’d say great to meet him, but turns out we had met years back at various NCWW events. Bruce - Thanks for your hospitality and generosity, the blanks will be put to good use. I went by my friends’ place yesterday and...
  16. smallboat

Cabinet Hinge question

I’m not a cabinet guy so this may be a dumb question. I need to replace a broken hinge on a cabinet door for my sister. The original hinge is a Blum Full overlay style. Looks like the model number is 84.355 The local box stores here in Philly don’t stock it and I don’t plan to be here long...
  17. smallboat

Fence rail source?

My back yard is surrounded with a 3 rail fence that I put in 25+ years ago. Over time I’ve replaced a few rails but now I’m looking at close to a dozen that have succumbed to either time +/or falling limbs. (Yeah, that big) 2020 hindsight says I should have not let it get to this point...
  18. smallboat

Back burner project

A while back I was gifted a chunk of Cherry burl that was the definition of gnarly. It was too big for my lathe so I shaved about 1" all around and set it up on a face plate. As I cleaned it up it looked pretty interesting but I discovered that by mounting it by the most solid portion I created...
  19. smallboat

CA shelf life

Does CA go bad? I have a bottle of low viscosity CA from Klingspor that appears to be good. It's a couple of years old. I've tried it recently for some simple things and had mixed results. Could be the glue, could be the materials I was trying to bond. (don't recollect what they were just...
  20. smallboat

raffle tickets

Just tried to purchase my raffle tickets. Went through the process and a "failure" notice in red popped up. didn't indicate what the nature of the failure was. Tried again and same thing. Either I have twice as many tickets or none at all. Can someone let me know which?

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS