Search results

1. B

Wanted Tulipwood

West Penn Hardwoods has a great selection.
  2. B

Rash after cleaning table saw top

No one asked but could you have developed an allergy or sensitization to the components of WD-40? I'd be extremely careful repeating anything you did the first time.
  3. B

Shop database app

I use a product called HomeManage. It has a lot more features than I need but is inexpensive, easy to learn and allows me to keep track of the information I want. Things like serial numbers, model numbers and where I bought something. It allows for upload of photographs. I usually include a...
  4. B

Plywood Suppliers selling to public

It's still a bit of a drive from Charlotte but The Hardwood Store in Gibsonville is closer, they are an NCWW sponsor and have some nice product. I think they'll deliver for a price. Give them a call.
  5. B

Looking for a craftsman to make me a live edge dining room table

Need to read my whole comment. I said West Penn could direct him to someone who could do it for him.
  6. B

Looking for a craftsman to make me a live edge dining room table

Call West Penn Hardwoods (an advertiser here). They have a huge selection of live edge slabs and can probably direct you to someone who can make this for you professionally.
  7. B

Wood recommendation for a kitchen table top

If you're looking for a table top and want much more varieties than even the Hardwood Store can offer, make a trip over to West Penn Hardwoods. You'll definitely find something with much more character than oak or ash and with the color of walnut. Harder than walnut, too.
  8. B

Jim Byrnes Thickness Sander - Review

I have his small table saw. Best little saw for the model maker out there. They aren't cheap but they are made very well. Your review makes me think maybe I should get the sander too.
  9. B

Monkeypod

Monkey pod grows in Florida but not as large as in Hawaii.
  10. B

Monkeypod

One of my favorite woods to turn because of the color variations. That piece is beautiful. It looks to be at least 4" thick. It's going to be someone's dining room center piece.
  11. B

pencils

Been using Pentel since High School (graduated in 1978). Back then I actually used a 0.3 mm. It takes some getting used to the pressure needed not to break the lead. I wouldn't use one now. I use 0.7 mm for marking cut lines, etc and 0.5 mm for drawing. Sometimes you can get them on sale...
  12. B

Young wood turner looking for scrap wood to turn! HELP

My favorites to buy from online have already been mentioned but another is Green Valley Wood Products (gvwp.net). I've had trees taken out on my property several times by a service I trust. They have green wood every day and usually are headed to the dump with it. Contact one of them and see...
  13. B

The Hardwood Store of NC Status

West Penn has been open for a several years now. Great selection of turning wood, slabs and dimensional and thin stock lumber. It's an experience to visit.
  14. B

Museum Piece

Shouldn't this be in a museum somewhere? I'd be afraid of messing it up with sawdust. https://charlotte.craigslist.org/tls/d/denver-vintage-50s-series-100-craftsman/7324368558.html
  15. B

Laguna LT18 HD Bandsaw (SOLD)

It's Italian made but not European?
  16. B

wood cost

Tariffs on Canadian lumber go back several Presidents.. They didn't just stop shipping, it just became more expensive. Tariffs are supposed to stop goods moving but if the demand is there the buyer just pays more.
  17. B

planer

Flat knives or Shelix type cutting? Flat knives dull quickly on very hard woods. Shelix is a little easier especially since each insert is carbide. If you're willing to spend as much as a new planer then a Shelix could be an option. My 735 was retrofitted to the Shelix (did it myself) and...
  18. B

Answer from DeWalt on 735 planer current draw

Same here, no breaker tripping. Had mine for over five years with many types of hard and soft wood going through. I never, though, take more than 1/32" at a time. That's half a full crank turn and at it's slow speed. Mine's plugged into a 10' 12 gauge extension cord on a dedicated 20A...
  19. B

Advice for small 2 stage dust collection ... shop vac size

I have a small garage workshop. My biggest sawdust/chip producer is probably my Dewalt 735 planer. My Rigid shopvac with Dust Deputy cyclone works fine for what I do. It only has a 5 gal bucket but you could easily switch it out to a larger drum if you want to. It's the cyclone that's...
  20. B

Sad state of affairs for SYP

When you see a log truck around the SE you see it loaded with a few dozen scrabbly little pines. In the NW it's usual to see a truck go by filled with maybe five or six individual logs.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS