pencils

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Been switching from wood pencils to mechanical ones. Bought a pack of .9 Bic ( cheap) and yea, I like them. But, just bought a little Incra mini-square and if course it needs .5 leads, Good, but fragile so looking for retractable leads. Click like a pen. Not spending $30 each on them as I want to scatter a dozen around my shop.

Any preferences? If I search on Amazon, they have a habit of ignoring critical words, like retractable.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
I have two types - a Dollar store package that were okay actually, and then a pack from Lee Valley. They even state that these are not 'highest quality ever', but serve the function well for a shop pencil. THese are 0.5 and do break a fair bit, but also create a decent fine line. That the extent of my experience. THE LV may have been a one-off type sale I can't recall.

cobraguy

Clay
Corporate Member
I recently went through the same research process and settled on the Pentel GraphGear 1000 series. They come in different diameters, which are color coded. When you press the clip to slide it into a pocket, the end retracts. One click and the business end comes back out with the lead where you left it. I got the .5 and a .9 to start with. I'll likely grab another to hold a white lead for marking darker woods. Believe they were in the $12 range on Amazon

Last edited:

mpeele

michael
User
When I was in college the only mechanicals sold in book store was a Pentel P2 series(05,07 and 09) and they cost $1. On my first and all jobs since the supply cabinets always had Pentel P2's and Pentel leads. Every so often an admin in charge of the supply cabinet would buy something else. There would be a revolt and the Pentels would re-appear. Leads will break but Pentel leads break less often. If you don't believe it test it.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I have a couple Pentil GraphGear 1000s and while I like them, I need two to have one working when I reach for it. If I take them all part and clean them, including using a little special sized cleaning pin in the tip, I can get them working again but I am pretty tired of doing this. I also have one GraphGear 500 and it has not yet required any of this. The 1000s are around $10 each and you can get the 500s for $5 each if you buy 5. If I buy more, they will be the 500s. But it may be just that I have not used the 500 as much. The 500 does not retract, the 1000 does. I have also used "cheap" disposable Bic pencils but I have given up on them. I don't think they work reliably.

I also do not use a 0.5mm pencil for everything. If I am cutting to the mark and need precision, I use the 0.5. But in many cases I don't need the cut to be that accurate and I prefer a simple carpenters pencil. It is easier to see and requires less maintenance.

For the best accuracy I cut to a stop, set with a steel ruler.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
So, ordered a pack of BIC as they are dirt cheap. Not retractable though.
I am told. .5 are fragile and will break easily in our pocket, so retractable is preferred. Not paying $30 for one though.

Yes, these are all "drafting pencils" Different from the old school lead holders we used in the 70's. ( maybe sorry I sold all mine, even the big old iron pointer. )

Pentel eh. Will check

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
What grade lead are you using? Used to be grades from real soft to hard. I never had much luck with the .5 leads. Could you make a knife or point that would fit in the Incra guides?

Roy G

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Yes on the knife, but I got this for quick and dirty work, so a pencil is right.
Curious, it does seem to be quite square.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
I use plane and simple no. 2 pencils with a plane and simple pencil sharpener. No fuss. All those others are great for drafting but not so great for woodworking. I’ve tried, but I’m a little heavy handed so all the mechanical pencils break in my hand. So here’s the best part, I just sharpen it and go to work. As it gets dull then I just touch it up and move forward. If I break the pencil then I just grab a new one sharpen and move forward. I buy a box of 100 about every two years.

bainin

New User
bainin
Pentel Graphgear 500 with 0.5mm lead.
Personally I don't like the 0.5mm -i break them too easily, but all my incra type guides need 0.5mm or smaller.

I think they're about $8-$10 each on Amazon these days.

b

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Pentel Graphgear 500 with 0.5mm lead.
Personally I don't like the 0.5mm -i break them too easily, but all my incra type guides need 0.5mm or smaller.

I think they're about $8-$10 each on Amazon these days.

b
Exactlly.

Brantnative

Jeff
Corporate Member
Been using Pentel since High School (graduated in 1978). Back then I actually used a 0.3 mm. It takes some getting used to the pressure needed not to break the lead. I wouldn't use one now. I use 0.7 mm for marking cut lines, etc and 0.5 mm for drawing. Sometimes you can get them on sale. The ones I use are P205s or P207s. P205s are $3.79 right now.

Bming1

New User
Brandon
I’ve got a number of mechanical pencils, as I’m a huge fan of them, and this one is the best I currently own. It automatically rotates the lead as you advance it so that it’s always on the sharp side as it wears down with use.

Uni Kuru Toga Roulette Model Auto Lead Rotation 0.5mm Mechanical Pencil, Silver Body (M510171P.26) Amazon.com

Last edited:

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Like the Graphgear .5mm

But I still use the Ticonderoga #2’s just as much.

I found if you leave about 8 laying around you never have to walk far to find one!!

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I agree the lead is fragile but I like .5mm pencils for use with the track saw because it cuts right where I put the track. So a wider line tends to mean a less accurate cut. For a lot of work this level of accuracy is not needed and I mark with a carpenters pencils or just a plain old wood pencil. I also use a Incra t-square ruler which requires 0.5mm lead but really helps making accurate marks from an edge.

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
I use these they are inexpensive and a 0.7mm lead, so not as fragile as a 0.5mm and not as thick as the 0.9mm... just right. They are cheap enough I can buy a bunch of them to hide from myself around the shop.

RedBeard

Burns
Corporate Member
image.jpg

These are what I use for incra and some layout. I keep them stashed all over. The lead does break easily but I use a Pica most of the time. I like wood pencils better but got in the habit of sticking it back in the holster so I always know where my pencil is. It is just what I tend to grab now.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
View attachment 204894
These are what I use for incra and some layout. I keep them stashed all over. The lead does break easily but I use a Pica most of the time. I like wood pencils better but got in the habit of sticking it back in the holster so I always know where my pencil is. It is just what I tend to grab now.
I got a pack of they yesterday

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS