Search results

1. O

Thos.Moser Chair

Thanks fergy, I will order the book. i have several manuals on woodworking but surprisingly, no referance for seat angles.
  2. O

Thos.Moser Chair

Thanks for the replies. The seat on my practice chair has a good angle on it. As you mention the seat angle is critical to the comfort of a chair. The back angle is where I screwed up and I appreciate the suggestions. I am checking all the chairs I find to determine the most comfortable...
  3. O

Thos.Moser Chair

I am building a Thos. Moser Cherry Table with several Cherry and Ash chairs and one Cherry and Ash bench. The chairs and bench will be the Eastward design. Having never built a chair, I built a practice chair from Poplar and Oak. It turned out fairly well and is very strong. The problem is...
  4. O

Gum as a secondary wood?

Gum can be a good choice for secondary wood with some reservations. Gum is prone to twist and warp and is known to be moisture sensitive. It will expnad and contract with varying relative humidy so you will need to provide for this movement in your construction. I would be careful and let the...
  5. O

Air drying cherry

Cherry for use in furniture should be 6-8% moisture content. A 40% relative humidity is average for the Carolinas and 6-8% MC in your cherry lumber will maintain dimensional stability. John B.
  6. O

Construction Adhesive???

Construction Adhesive is basically a very high solids Neoprene rubber compound. It is great for construction projects and will sure keep yoour floors from squeaking if you put on the floor joist before laying down the floors. It would be a terrible furniture glue. John
  7. O

Glue for HDPE

Hey, Folks, HDPE is used for glue bottles. Guess glue won't stick to it. Oakwood
  8. O

Solid Wood Edge Banding?

The surface left by your saw should be fine for edge banding a solid band to plywood. To enhance the strength without resorting all the other stuff, is to glue size the edge of the plywood with a solution of glue diluted 50% with water. Apply this dilute glue to the edge of the plywood and...
  9. O

Everyone favorite wood glue

Steve D reports "glue line creep" on exposed glue lines. This situation is usually caused by one of two things. The first is machining the glued up joint to quickly after gluing. If the glue line is machined to soon the wood adjacent to the glue line is still saturated with water and the wood...
  10. O

Everyone favorite wood glue

My favorite glue is Titebond Original. I would use Titebond II or Titebond III if I needed exterior performance. I would not use a urethane for any application. The Titebond Liquid Hide glue is great if your are working with a long assembly time or think you may want to disassemble the part...
  11. O

Jewelery Chest,Cherry,Rosewood, Ebony

Yes, It came out of my own imagination. I had some time to think about it before I started cutting and that time really helped. I tend to build without drawings so I need to spend a great deal of time thinking a project through before I start making long boards short.
  12. O

Best glue for bent laminating

Skintknuckle has the best advice. Fortunately you are gluing fir which is extremely easy to glue and has a minimum spring back memory on curved parts. The primary concern I would have for your bent lamination is using a glue with sufficient open time to accomodate assemby. Titebond comes in...
  13. O

Name: John City: Harrisburg County: Cabarrus Join Date: Jan 2006 Posts: 30 Re: Jewelery Chest,Cherry,Rosewood, Ebony I am overwhelmed by your comments. Thank You. Dave O, I appreciate your merging the messages for me. The Jewelry Chest took about nine months to complete. I have a job, which...
  14. O

mini gloat

Great looking chisels and squares. Once you do it by hand you never go back......... John B.
  15. O

New Shop

Great looking shop. Sounds like you did your homework before you started building. The only thing better than a dedicated workshop is adding just one more tool. Congratulations John B.
  16. O

Jointing Boards

This process works equally well when use use a hand jointer plane. In fact, when using a hand tool for jointing it is the only way to get a uniform and tight joint. John
  17. O

I am overwhelmed by your comments. Thank You. Dave O, I appreciate your merging the messages for me. The Jewelry Chest took about nine months to complete. I have a job, which is very inconvenient, so I work in my shop only on Saturdays. I am a Neanderthal woodworker since I enjoy working...
  18. O

Jewelry Chest
  19. O

20. O

Possible next project

Dave, Great project, breadboard top, M&Ts this is a great one to make by hand. Keep the pics coming as you progress. John

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS